2005 Chevy 2500HD 4x4, Any gas mileage tips?

I have a 2005 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 and get about 12mpg . I dont expect great gas mileage but I figure there has to be some add ons to help. Thanks in advance for any help.

• Jake
    Favorite Answer

Switch it back into two wheel drive, easy to do there are three buttons labeled 2wd 4wd high 4 wd low put the truck in park press 2wd, put in drive go a few feet, stop put in park and then drive like normal

Trade it for a Duramax/Allison combo 2500HD. You'll average around 20mpg empty. If that's not an option, then I'd suggest a few things that in combination will add about 2 miles per gallon. 1: Go to a true dual exhaust. Brand name doesn't really matter, just that you free the exhaust up so the engine exhales better. Regardless of what some may tell you, stay away from headers. They are a pain in the butt and won't give you that much of a benefit, and if not maintained properly, can lead to head damage on that particular truck. 2: Go to a washable, high-flow air filter such as K&N or go a little further and install a true cold air kit. This will help your engine breathe better, cooler air providing better combustion. 3: Swap your spark plugs for a good truck plug. Do NOT buy the bosch platinum pieces of crap at AutoZone either. Go to NAPA or Car Quest and tell them you want a quality truck plug. AC makes a good one... platinum too. 4: Buy a power programmer and flash your computer with an economy setting. 5: Turn your foot into a feather and gently use the throttle. There are 5 things out of a hundred that will improve your fuel economy to around 14 - 16 mpg on a good day. Total investment for that tiny increase will be around $1000. In conclusion... trade your gas for a diesel.

Source(s): Previous experience with a lifted 2000 Silverado Ext. Cab 1500 Z-71 that got 12mpg until I did some work to it (above mentioned, looking to get all these great gas mileage benefits they advertise) just to end up with a total of 14mpg and sold it and to buy my glorious Duramax/Allison and get 20mpg for the same truck payment, with a buttload of more towing capacity for my business.

2005 Chevy 2500hd Gas Mileage

Yeah, don't pass a gas station! Keep air filter clean, proper pressure in tires and stay out of the pedal.

Not towing try 7 to 10 if lucky

Get a smaller truck. Simple as that.