how old should my baby be b4 I can start feeding him baby cereal?

He is only 3 months but he is already drinking 8 oz at every feeding, he is a big baby but well paportioned do he doesn't look chunky he weighed 9 lbs 10 oz when he was born and he was 2 weeks early.. anyway I think he is ready for cereal he is very very alert and hold his head up perfect and is always trying to raise himself to sit up when I lay him down or put him in his bouncer..is it too soon?

Favorite Answer

i would ask the doctor. my son was also big and was drinking tons of formula. we started him on solids 2 weeks ago when he was 4 months. he likes it, but it doesn't seem to be filling him up more, if thats what you are hoping for.

does he drool a lot? my son was constantly drooling, the doctor said that can mean they are ready for solids.

they start producing more saliva so that they can digest solids easier.

Wow, that sounds very familiar!! My baby boy will be 4 months on the 13th and he is also really big. He was born at 8 pounds 15 oz. 21 in. and is now 20 pounds 4 oz. I breast feed him only and he loves to try to sit up all the time. He is always straining his head up when I have him lying down too. I know that it is ok to start giving him cereal at 4 months and sometimes even earlier depending on your child. I was thinking about that a lot to recently but decided I would like to wait closer to 6 months. He seems satisfied with just having breast milk and it is considered the perfect diet (often times the earlier you introduce foods the less breastmilk they will be taking in and their are possible links to later obesity and potential food allergies) SO I have decided to wait. Sometimes for fun though I feed him straight breast milk with a spoon and he takes it, its great and although I get tempted when I am at the store to pick up some rice cereal I know that he will be eating solids soon enough. ( plus my doctor in our case recommended waiting)

I have started all 3 of my kids on cereal before they were a month old. I mixed it in their bottles. My first was eatting people food by 9 months old. My second was taking 8 oz by the time he was a month and still not getting full. The cereal did help him get fuller.

When I had my first baby, many many years ago, the Dr. put her on cereal at 2 weeks. In those days, we used to put the cereal in the bottle with the formula. Since those days, I had 3 more children. One Dr. told me to wait until the baby was 4 months old! So you can see how different Drs. will give different advice. I think your baby would do fine eating baby cereal. Take care!

some of these people are crazy! what they are saying is what is in all of the books but what they arent saying is that every baby is different. if you feel your child is ready to start it wont hurt to try! cereal first and do it for a while so he can get used to solids. if he pushes it all right back out then he's not ready so dont force it, i'm sur eyou wouldnt anyway. possibly try mixing some of it in his bottles and try that if you'd like to wait for baby food a bit longer. my daughter was a huge newborn and was drinking so much formula she couldnt digest it fast enough yet was still starving so she would vomit. at 3 weeks i started adding a little cereal to a couple bottles a day and no more problems, she was still getting her daily amount of calories and has gained weight at a normal rate so dont worry about obesity. good luck! go with your mommy instincts :)

Our pediatrician said 4mo. Sounds like your little one may be ready a little early. It depends on if he can sit up in the high chair and will take it without choking. I'd say go ahead and try it. FYI you are supose to start with rice cereal it has the least allergies. Good Luck

i in my view does no longer supply your infant rice in her bottle at 2 weeks previous. I say this for the reason which you will create an entire new problem which will save her wakeful at evening. Her digestive equipment truly isn't mature adequate to look after the nutrition which you're giving her. My daughter throws up at evening too. My advice is to feed her greater energy for the duration of the day. Like, supply her 4 ouncesin her bottles all day long. whilst it is composed of mattress time, supply her in basic terms 3 ouncesand carry her up approximately 15 minutes before you lay her down. She could cry the 1st couple of nights which you do this, yet she would be able to ultimately get used to the smaller volume of nutrition. I even have been doing this with my daughter for a pair of months now. She is 3 months previous now and he or she in basic terms began dozing for the duration of the evening. good success!

Same here. My doctor advised me to feed my baby cereal before 30 days old. My mom did think this way young. He was a well=known doctor. My husband gave him arrowroot cookies for solids. He son liked rice cereal, and I made my own.

Source(s): me

Wow it seems your son is developing pretty above average. Here in Australia we can get baby cereal for 4 months old, i started my son about than, he is now 6 months. But look all you can do is try, maybe go see your health nurse and see if they recommend it for you also. All you do is start him at a teaspoon and see how he responds. He may hate it at first but if you try it once every day he should get used to it,good luck to you and your son.

Babies don't need to be sitting in a chair before being fed baby cereal. Rice cereal can be mixed with their milk and fed to them via their bottle. The nipple holes on the bottle will need to be made somewhat larger. Most doctors recommend 4-6 months before offering it. It is best to check with your baby's pediatrician.