Shisuren asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Is He Trying To Kill My Kitten?

My cat was hissing earlier, because of the new arrival i recently adopted a black s/h male, who is 5 1/2 weeks old. My cat meowed funny, hissed a few times, (hes never hissed before) and bopped him on the head but 5 minutes a go i set the kitten on the bed and my cat meowed, went over and started licking what looked like, biting. At one point he was biting his neck (not the scruff)my kitten was fast asleep, so he wasent doing anything. I watched VERY carefully he didnt even meow so i dont think he hurt him. What was my cat doing?!

Favorite Answer

He is telling the kitten who is boss. Once that is established then it will not be necessary for you to watch them so carefully. The older one will be reassured that he is king and the younger one will follow his lead.

The licking, biting is part of the process and I would feel better that he had done this....and not directly attacked....

" I can be gentle with you....or I can be harsh with you!"

The kitten will submit and all will be well.

• Kris L

Your cat was just trying to make friends with the new 'interloper' ... and you were a 'good cat parent' to let him 'do his thing' while the baby was sleeping. I'd 'watch them carefully' when they're together for at least two weeks, but they should be 'fine' ... the kitten will want to 'play' as soon as it gets over the 'stress' of the move, and they'll probably 'tear up the house' play fighting ... all in fun, not because your older cat wants to 'kill' the kitten.

I have six cats,varying in age from 14 years down to one year, and a dog. The dog loves all the cats; the cats have varying opinions about each other, but no big fights ever.

The cats all tolerate the dog in varying degrees. Some of the cats even like her a lot.

The other answers are good ones. Keep in mind first that the kitten is a little too young to be away from it's mom. Please keep them separated 'till the baby is 8-10 weeks old and stronger, then introduce them supervised for short amounts of time until they get used to each other.

YES - key word there is HE - male adult cats and kittens do not mix. Male cats will kill kittens. Keep the baby isolated.

telling the kitten who's boss

Source(s): mmmmm this will work out i n the end
  • old cats always hate new cats

it takes them away from being the center of your attention

Source(s): we have two, and they're YEARS apart

he is telling the kitten that he is the big "dog"

r u sure its not dead?