Linz asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Considering moving across the country... what about my cat?

I'm considering moving across the country. I currently have three cats. One is mine, one is my husbands, and one has adopted my son. My husband and I are getting a divorce, so I believe that his cat will go with him. I want to take my cat with us but she's already 10 years old and I'm not sure how she'll handel it. My son's cat is a TOTAL PEEER! He pees at the sight of the car or crate. Other than that he's well behaved and uses the litterbox. But he's a great cat and loves my boy(21 mo.old). SO my delemma is... How do I choose what is right for my cats with out being selfish or heartless?

Favorite Answer

I recently moved to Florida with a 16 year old cat with thyroid and heart problems, a 13 year old cat, a cat of unknown age, an 8 year old cat, and a 4 year old cat.

If you will put out the cat crates in the house several weeks before the move, that will help temendously. That way the kitty heads can explore them at their own leisure, and get used to them, go ahead and put towels, toys, and cat nip in the carriers, to encourage them to explore and get comfortable. Cats like routine...and if you establish the routine that the carriers are not bad places, and are not just used to be transported to the vet, they will accept them MUCH easier.

Since you are moving across the country...go ahead and check online for pet friendly hotels along your route. The guys will appreciate being out of their crate and able to use the litter box. If time allows, take an extra day...make sure to put the "Do not Disturb" sign on the door.

Also, herbal grade cat nip! You can get it at the health food store, usually in the capsule form. Make sure it is a high grade cat nip! Pull the capsule apart, and either mix with kitties food, or open their little mouths, and pour it in...(in which case have tissues handy to clean up the drool). Cat Nip when taken internally by cats has a VERY calming, non toxic, non sedating effect. I didn't want to sedate the 16 year old for the 8 hour ride...but cat nip internally left him alert....but VERY calm.

Hi,

I have several cats, and moved with my job regularly, they got so when I stacked the cat crates in the yard to hose the dust off they gathered around, not wanting to be left. I like animal crates, like dog crates to transport cats long distances in because they have more room and a small plastic shoebox containing litter fits better. When you get where you're going, don't let them out of the crate until your stuff is in the house. Don't want them going out in a strange place and getting lost. They can come out of the crate in the house as soon as the movers are gone. Show them the new location of their litter pan , food and water bowls. Wait a week or so before you let them out of the house. It is you and your son they love not your house or town. Take them with you, you'll all be happy!

Three ways: Drive them. Fly them as checked (with you on the plane) or ship them via an airline's cargo service (without it necessary for you to be there). Or send them via PetAir, a new airline that only carries animals. It's pretty nice, and while a bit on the spendy side (as well as taking a couple days to get there) it's really ideal. I don't know if they do cats, though, come to think of it. And they only do Los Angeles to New York City.

• Malia

If you leave your cat to an APL and he's 10 yrs old, they'll probably kill him right away because of his age. I'm sorry to say it like that but it's true.

You can't just leave him. He'll be way beyond depressed. If you can just put up with him to get him to your new place, he would much appreciate it. He might not like the ride or plane but in the end, I think he'd adjust just fine, especially with you and your boy around.

Take them both and you'll be glad you did. I believe I would do the same thing.

Source(s): 6 cats, raised many since birth

Moving isn't a reason to give up your cats, unless the place you are moving to wont allow pets. I moved from FL to CA. I flew with my cat. The vet gave me some meds to put her to sleep and she was fine. She woke up the last 45 min of the flight and started to whine but overall it was ok. You can totally take your cats with you. I think it would be best for your kid and the cats to have as much normalcy as possible considering the divorce.

Take your cats with you! I moved my cat from Kansas to Alaska when she was almost 10, and she was just fine. It sounds like your son's cat will have a harder time, but he'll probably be OK. Just put him in a carrier with an absorbant pad in it (like the puppy housebreaking pads), and try taking him for short rides before the trip. I'm sure your cats will be happier if they stay with you, even if they have to move a long distance.

If your cats are a part of the family, then the question answers itself. I have two cats that have moved several times (9 different cities, from California to Florida). They have been in planes, cars, and rental trucks. It hasn't been pleasant during the actual move, but they have been very resilient, and are creating mischief even as we speak.

Bring them along. They will provide you with companionship and entertainment along the way.

Cats are more resilient than you think. I moved last year with a 19-year-old cat and he did very well. Take them with you, and as another poster suggested, make them as comfortable as possible during the move. They won't like it (the ride, however you're going to get them there), but once they're in the new place and settled, they will be fine.

I traveled across three States with my cat. She didn't much enjoy it, but I would talk to her and pet her when I could and she got through it okay.

Just make a secure place for them and their litterbox in the truck, putting up barriers around the area, laying down something soft and padded on the floor. Make certain to pet them and reassure them whenever you can.

• mJc

Um, er... don't you think it would be better for your son if you stayed in the same state as his father? I mean, honestly, a boy needs time with his dad (unless his dad is a real idiot).

Anyway, talk to the vet. You can probably get a sedative for the cat and take him with you on your move across the country.