Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 decade ago

How do I find out the owner of a property?

The home next door to me has been vacant for months without any signage of who owns it. I am interested in purchasing the home but I do not know how to go about finding out the owner's name.

6 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    First off, put something on the door telling whoever that you may be interested and to contact you. Be sure to specify that you are the next door neighbor and a serious buyer so they will not think you are some investor who does this with lots of houses trying to get a few at well below market value.

    Next, go check the tax records. You should be able to do this through your county web page (possibly state web page) somewhere. Also, any realtor could probably do this for you in a flash if you know any.

    Third, try to get with the prior tenants/owners if you can. They should know the deal and can put you with whoever now owns the palce. Maybe some other neighbors were frinedly with them and would ahve their new number.

    Fourth, just sit back and wait. If the property is undergoing a change in ownership (like foreclosure) it will be very hard to get to the right person working for the new owner (be it the gov't or a bank) so you could just wait for a sign to show up on the lawn - it will probably get there eventually.

  • 1 decade ago

    The answer to your question depends on where you live. If you live in New York City, all you need to do is visit the City web site ACRIS.

    In general, there are many web sites that provide this information for various states. One good site is for a small fee you can not only get the name of the owner, but his phone number too.

    Propertyshark is not the only site that provides such information. For more details, you might want to visit the following link:

    If you live in an area that is not covered by any of the information web sites, the tax man is the best source. Go to the town or county and they should be able to assist you.

    Another option is to hire a real estate broker to assist you. True, it might cost you some money, but they should save you a good amount of time.

    All the best.


  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Check with the county taxing authority. In Texas, you can search almost any of them by address or owner name. Check out www.HCAD.ORG for Harris county, for example.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    shoot me an e-mail with the address and I will look it up for you. You could also ask your mail man/post office if the mail is being forwarded to somewhere.


    Source(s): Satar Naghshineh California Licensed Real Estate Broker and Investor Amiri Property and Financial Services Corp. Irvine, CA
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    Inquire at your local city government.

  • 1 decade ago

    ask the other people that live around you

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.