is a bait casting reel better for distance casting?

I'm a novice surf fisherman and I've been using a spinning reel but I think if I switch over to a bait casting reel it will help my distance, can anyone add to this?

Favorite Answer

Yes you will cast farther. I cast 125yrd average and much more when I really need to. Buying the right surf rod and reel can be a tricky part. I use a 10ft and a 12ft rod. The tip strength of the surf rod is the key to your casting distance while tossing out chunks of bait with a big surf weight attached. There are quite a few choices on reels, but one that holds allot of line is a must.

Unfortunately, it's not the reel, It's the operator :) Baitcasters can be a challenge at first, but neccessary for casting heavy lines into tough cover for bass, or fishing for big pike, muskies or saltwater fish. The reason it backlashes is because once the lure hits the water it's suddenly moving much slower than the line coming off the spool behind it. The line has no where to go so it starts to double-up, tangle and wraps around the spinning spool. When casting, it's necessary for you to keep light pressure on the spool with your thumb. It's a bit clumsy at first but eventually you'll get the hang of the right amount of pressure. The pressure also depends on the weight of the bait you're casting, the heavier the bait, the more pressure you'll need. Also, the friction tends to get hot on the thumb sometimes. Put a band-aid on your thumb to protect it if it bothers you. Find an open spot either on the water or in your yard and experiment with different casting weights. Also, most baitcasters have a tension adjuster that adjusts open-bail spool speed. When casting heavier baits you can turn the tension up so the spool doesn't spin so freely, thus any backlash that might occur will be smaller and more manageable. GOOD LUCK!

Bait casting reel will let you cast farther out but you will need practice, I use penn 4/0 reels when I shore fish for Ulua, I can cast about 80-100 yards with 8 oz lead and half a Octopus for bait. It took my time to learn the proper technique to cast that far.

• Injun

That is up to the reel,line weight and rod used and most of all you!

When I was healthy I used my abu 7000 spooled with 12lb mono(casting reel) on 12 foot ugly stik or now my Okuma spinning reels with same set up and casted about the same distance with both!

yesd it will because its made for the bait but you dont have to give a hard cast it really just depends on how good the reel is

bait casters do not cast further than spinning reels. the longcasting competitions use spinning rods.

Using a baitcaster effectively takes quite a bit of practice. If you happen to be casting into the wind, it wont work well.

yes...the spool on the baitcaster will be spinning cause of the line and the cats....it will help get yer cast out further....