Would you continue to work where you are unhappy if the pay is good?

I am a merchandise supervisor for a retail store. The pay is good but I am just no longer happy. I am married and have three children, my wife said to just resign and find something else, and I do have a few things lined up and I still have a part time job that I have worked for three years. I feel like that I should stay and not let the job get the best of me, but I am so stressed that I am just miserable all the time. What should I do?

• Juliet
    Favorite Answer

Can you hold on until you get a new job? Just stay focused on finding the new job - and know that you won't have to stay at the old one forever.

If you quit, and don't find a new job quickly - and your family has financial problems, you'll feel bad. But definitely don't stay there forever just for the money. (The golden handcuffs we call them.)

Find your passion and the money will come. But watch out for the little ones first - they need you. I know - I used to be a single mom.

You are setting yourself up for a lifetime of misery if you stay there.

Be truthful and honest with your superiors and yourself.

If there is anything that they can do to make you happy, tell them. Set a date and give them notice. Let them know that you will do the job to the best of your ability until you leave.

Do not leave on bad terms, you always want to be "eligible for rehire" when you use them as a reference.

Figure out what you would enjoy doing everyday, and figure out how to make money from it, by finding a job or starting something. It doesn't matter if it is blowing up balloons or walking dogs...

Life is too short to hate your job...

Most people do, it's very sad and a waste of life.

It's much easier to get up every day when u love what you do..

Be truthful about why you are leaving, it's amazing what honesty can get you...

Do what you LOVE,, the money will follow.

If you are not happy in what you do then I would find something that will make you happy. If you are unhappy at your job then odd are you bring that unhappiness home to your family and they dont need that either. Your kids deserve to have their Daddy come home happy and spend time with them with you not worrying about work and what is going to happen when you go back. You also deserve to be happy. I say go with something that you can be happy with and just simply walk away from the job that is not allowing you to enjoy your family and free time.

It depends on your financial situation-I've quit jobs that I absolutely dreaded going to, since it was destroying my confidence, and made me worried about whether I could get another job with no self-esteem...but I also made sure I had enough money to survive for a few months until I could get another job.

If you're financial situation is tight, and you're still feeling good about finding another job (your job is not totally demoralizing you), then find another job first...once you're *sure* you have a new job, then give notice fast and get out fast!

I've done it both ways, but I also have a bachelor's degree and work with computers, so I usually haven't had problems finding jobs quickly. I also have taken time to figure out what I really wanted to do, and got training if I needed it to do it.

Good luck!

I really dislike my job, but not many other places will hire me at 14. I earn $8.10, which is a pretty good wage for a 14-year old, so I'm satisfied with the work I am currently doing.

Once I turn 16 (or at least 15), I will consider moving to a new occupation.

Stay at your current job until you are hired by the new one that pays as much. You have a wife and 3 kids to support.

Life's too short to be miserable. Find another job, THEN quit.

Most people in the USA hate what they do... but they work there cause it pays the bills... perhaps try reading some books on different subjects (like i'm doing) to try to get a better perspective on things... ???

link below

If you're really that burnt - change jobs.