JETSKIBRATTTT asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

SALARY CAP, and RESTRICTED FREE AGENT SIGNINGS IN THE NHL???

THIS YEAR WE'VE ALL SEEN WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO BUFFALO !!!!

(BUISNESS OR NOT,LOWES MOVE WAS LOW, WHEN HE TRIED TO AQUIRE VANEK FROM BUFFALO.(SLEAZY)

ANYWAYS

MY POINT / QUESTION IS:

WHAT IS BETTMAN GOING TO DO ABOUT THIS, WHAT CAN BE IMPLIMENTED SO AS A TEAM WON'T BE DESSIMATED? EITHER BY FREE AGENT SIGNINGS OR THIS RESTRICTED ,FREE AGENT(MATCH MY OFFER) SIGNING CRAP THAT EDMONTON JUST PULLED?

I'M REALLY CONCERNED !!!

MY MAIN REASON BEING IS

LOOK AT OTTAWA, (MY TEAM)

WE STAND TO LOSE OUR TOP 3 STAR PLAYERS NEXT YEAR, AFTER ALREADY LOSING 2 OF THEM LAST YEAR.

THIS ISN'T RIGHT

WHAT DO YOU THINK??????

I FEEL FOR YOU BUFFALO FANS

THIS IS NOT GOOD FOR HOCKEY!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT EVER HAPPENNED TO PLAYER / TEAM LOYALTY

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE CASH AGAIN

I THOUGHT THE SALARY CAP WAS SUPPOSED TO ELIMINATE ALL OF THIS

WHAT A FARSE!!!!

Update:

HMMMMMMMM

LETS SEE IF I'M AN IDIOT WHEN CROSBY COMES AVAILABLE FOR RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY!!!

IMAGINE WHAT KIND OF BIDS HE'S GONNA FETCH

WHAT LOWE PULLED WAS (YES ) WITHIN THE RULES BUT OBVIOUSLY A PLOY TO TRY AND PLUCK A STAR PLAYER!!!

DUH

HE'S NOW ALONG WITH CLARK INSTILLED THIS PRACTICE OF OFFERING OFFER SHEETS AS COMMON PRACTICE

LOOK OUT PITTSBURG AND WASHINGTON

IT'S ONLY A YEAR AWAY

CROSBY, OVY.....

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Very few players feel any sort of loyalty anymore. The CBA is not working as planned and the Sens may lose people next year unless the three of them sit down together and decide not to financially blow up the Sens' cap. I agree, it stinks royally.

• Sly
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

First of all, the Sens lost Chara because they couldn't sign him and Redden together and Havlat was traded. So to say they lost them is not exactly true. They made a decision and lived with it.

As far as the Pens losing Crosby to RFA; that will never happen. They are talking about a long term contract and they wouldn't let him become a RFA.

About your question regarding the Sabres, it's only business. Edmonton weren't able to sign UFA's so they went after the best available RFA and I don't blame them. If the Sens would've done the same thing, I doubt you'd be saying that it was a low blow on the part of Murray to go after another team's best player.

Buffalo lost all those players because they played with fire from the get go. They should've signed their players to long term deals, but decided not to and got burned and nothing to show for their gamble.

In 1997, the New York Rangers signed centre Joe Sakic to a three-year, $21 million offer sheet that was matched by the Colorado Avalanche. The following year, the Carolina Hurricanes put out a six-year, $38 million offer sheet for Sergei Fedorov, and the Detroit Red Wings were quick to match as well.

So, this is nothing new as far as going after a RFA. If a team is OK with losing a certain number of draft picks to sign an RFA then go for it. Buffalo would've gotten 4 first round draft picks from Edmonton.

Hockey is a business, if the Sabres can't deal with it then they're not in the right business.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

OK just want to point out first that writing in Caps is considered shouting on 'net so we request unless you give a reason please don't do it. I realize some people don't realize they are or do it to see but please explain if you are going to. So let me get to the answer though.

Anyway the Salary cap DOES eliminate it to a degree. Sure every team could go after one and gang up on them BUT a single team couldn't do it. That is actually what the Salary cap will do. A team can't buy up every player like they were doing before the cap. There was never much team loyalty. To the end it was there it still will be. There will still be players that want to sign and WILL sign before they become free agents. If the team doesn't make an offer then they will leave but that is because the team doesn't have loyalty. I really see no reason to do anything about it at the moment. Nothing really going on that is a problem yet. Sure one team went and put a crazy offer out there, but the other team decided to match it. If the Sabres hadn't matched the sheet they could have just laughed at the dumb contract that the Oilers would have to pay. Now everyone is laughing at the Sabres for MATCHING that offer.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yer an idiot....and to yer comment about the oilers move was low......you are a dumbass.....they wanted the player....dont tell me the move was low...they did nothing wrong...they tried to sign a free agent...so what.....if buffalo didnt want to pay that money to vanek.....then they could have let him go to edmonton...and take the 4 first round picks...they had a choice.....so dont tey to tell everybody that ****...yer just jumping on to the bandwagon how edmonton is this and that ect....because buffaos assistnat gm or whoever it was didnt like it because they now have to pay vanek more than they wanted....its the exact same restricted free agent signing rule as the nfl......the team has to match...or they get draft pick compensation...they have a choice....and dont tell me edmonton did it just to make buffalo pay more...thats a load of crap......they arent even in the same division...not even in the same conference....why would edmonton try to do that to a team they might play once in a regular season...and risk 4 1st round draft picks....they wouldnt....they wanted the player...so they tried to sign him

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

One way to help team stability would be to allow teams to re-sign their current players and not have it all count toward the cap. This would put the scavengers at a disadvantage and would allow teams who have top flight talent, they have developed, to keep them in the organization rather than having to sacrifice them because they are limited in the money they can spend within the cap. There needs to be a way to reward those organizations that have developed great players.

• 1 decade ago

It wasn't sleazy. It's in the rules and the Sabres would have gotten compensation. If they were smart, they would have signed them before the season started and locked them up. Or at least one of them. But the team was cheap and refused to do what it needed to. Lowe did what he had to to make his team competitive. At least he has a pair, unlike most of the other GMs in the league.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Betman can't do anything get over it it's within the rules

• 1 decade ago

No need to yell buddy.

• 1 decade ago

If you didn't talk in caps I would've read your question.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.