Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 1 decade ago

Someone once told me that it was good for the soil in your garden to mix?

your charcoal ashes into your soil.

True or false?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Barb B
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Wood ashes are better. Charcoal bricketts have starter additives that would not be good for plants. If you have pure charcoal bricketts, perhaps adding limited amount of ash would be ok IF your soil needed the huge alkaline boost it'd get from the charcoal ash. ... I'd go with wood ash only and only if the soil needed that amendment.

• ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

a number of this relies upon on how deep you are going to make your raised beds. while you're making monster 2' extreme ones, i does no longer mess with it. If the beds are shallower, then your clay soil could create a drainage subject. The clay will carry water which each and every now and returned is a sturdy factor yet once you get an incredible form of rain, it will make the beds soggy and that creates a gaggle of subject concerns which incorporate greater fungus and root rot issues. until you dig in some form of organic and organic fabric the clay is in basic terms going to %. perfect bypass into opposite whether you do dig it up. i might think of roughly installation some form of draining equipment. does not could be complicated or high priced. making use of a few of the black corrugated drainage pipe alongside the perimeters might do the trick. in spite of the incontrovertible fact that, i might take the greater effective step of protecting or wrapping the pipe with panorama fabric to maintain the little holes in the pipe loose from airborne dirt and mud plugging them up. Then once you get right into a too moist project, the water has a place to bypass. in spite of the incontrovertible fact that, you may could do this to grade otherwise it won't drain out. Water does not run uphill. Gravel is an determination yet whilst your beds are shallow, you are going to dig up the gravel once you turn over the soil in the beds. The drain pipe you are able to fairly lots save to the perimeters of the mattress. And confident, it truly is sounding like it truly is going to get high priced, between the hot soil, the construction factors, panorama fabric, drain pipe. you're able to be greater effective forward to purchase organic and organic fabric and function it rototilled into the unique soil. think of compost, dehydrated and composted cow manure, peat moss. Your community backyard center can help you opt what products provides you with the main bang on your dollar. And to start up becoming your very own compost, it truly is truly common to establish a composting equipment and there's a ton of information on the internet and on right here approximately that subject count. Takes somewhat time in spite of the incontrovertible fact that it truly is nonetheless between the excellent issues you're able to do on your gardens and after the preliminary investment, it truly is fairly lots loose for the reason which you employ backyard waste and kitchen scraps.

• 1 decade ago

no,wood ashes might be charcoal. to many harmful chemicals

• 1 decade ago

Visit, www.gardening.net.au/wood-ash-in-the-garden/ .

Hi I am Debi, it may help answer your question.

See Ya!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.