Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

How do I get my self to stop?

I'm 5'4" and 90 pounds. I know I'm under-weight, but I feel fat and have been throwing up my food for some time. I realize that this is bad and want to stop, but I feel as though I can't. I would like to get over this on my own and I don't want to tell my parents or even my friends. They'll probably hate me for it. How do I get over this on my own?


There are too many good answers to pick a best one. I'll leave the voters to decide. Thanks again to everyone:)

21 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    You probably need to get professional help. If you cannot stop it on your own, then professional help is needed.

  • 1 decade ago

    You've made the first step, which is to realise that your behaviour is a problem. You need to nip this in the bud right now, before it develops further. You seem to be "ashamed" of your problem, by your reluctance to tell your parents and friends. Honey, having a problem is not something to be ashamed of. Not doing anything to fix it would be far worse.

    I don't know what your family situation is, but if you have loving and caring parents, don't you think they would feel hurt to think you had a problem but didn't trust them with it. However, if that's just not an option, don't let that stop you seeking help. Can you speak to a school counsellor or your local doctor? Whatever it is, just find an adult you can trust and ask for help!

  • 1 decade ago

    Alright, like any addiction, when ever you do something that stimulates a feeling, your brain sends neuropeptides or other transmitters to the area that is being physically stimulated. If you do it enough, the cells that are stimulated will grow receptors for that particular feeling, and these receptors make it easier for the neurotransmitters to be released. When ever you feel the urge to do this, it is because your body feels like it is missing out on this stimulation... you have to realize that you have complete control over your body.... when you feel the urge to do it, it is only because you received a much greater stimulation by throwing up, rather than the stimulation that your body naturally produces. As long as you can see the control you have over yovr body, it is easier to stop doing it... and the urge to do it WILL GO AWAY, I promise. It is awesome that your seeking help... you can definately do this!

  • Dolly
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

    I am sorry that you don't feel good about your body, I know exactly how you feel. But I think in order to look and feel beautiful, you have to use healthy ways to take care of yourself. Definitely talk to your doctor about what's been going on. You can ask him/her to keep everything confidencial. Another thing you should do, which is even harder than telling your doc, is to tell an adult you trust about your troubles. Your mind can play tricks on you and make you think that you are huge when you are really a beautiful and thin girl. If you talk to someone else, they can help you see things straight and help raise your self-esteem. It's very difficult to do it alone. I wish you the best of luck, gorgeous. :)

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    I'm not an expert, so please don't think I'm giving you expert advice....I'm just giving you an opinion. First of all, I'm SURE that your parents and friends won't hate you. They love you, and sure, they might not completely understand what you're going through, but I'm sure they wouldn't even consider hating you.

    Secondly, I don't know that you can get out of this on your own. That's not me trying to insult you or anything, but I've been through some tough stuff before, and I always needed someone's help. So, you might consider seeking some medical assistance. However, I think you have made a great step in identifying your disorder, it shows that you're aware of what you're doing to your body.

    This web site might help you...

    I wish you the best of luck, God Bless!

  • 1 decade ago

    try eating in small amounts first, but not throwing up. then increase the amount. also, eat fatty things that you like such as ice cream or french fries. just make sure you know when to stop with the fatty foods so you don't gain too much weight and want to loose again. the main thing is you need to teach your body to eat like normal again. you've decreased the size of your stomach by not eating properly so you need to gradually increase the size of it again and get used to eating. if you are unable to stop you need to tell someone, probably a doctor would be best. good luck to you though, you've taken a big step by admitting that what you are doing is wrong and that you need to stop.

  • 1 decade ago

    You have a disease call anorexia. You cannot cure it all by yourself. You need to get help, or you are going to be very very sick.

    If you can't tell your parents, is there a school nurse? is there a clinic where you could go for free? At least find another adult to tell, maybe a clergyperson or teacher.

    If your friends really would hate you for it, you should get new friends. There is no reason to hate someone who is sick.

    Please try to find someone who can help you.

  • 1 decade ago

    You really need to talk to your parents about this. You are going to need professional help to get over this. Bulimia is a disease and it can be very hard to stop throwing up. Your parents will be able to help you through this if you tell them. Your parents and friends are not going to hate you. They love you and will want to help you as much as they can. My mom has suffered from bulimia but recovered from it. You can stop but you are going to need help to keep you on the right track. Please tell someone about your problem. The sooner you do, the sooner you can get on the road to recovery and become healthy. You are not alone. Many girls (and even guys) suffer from eating disorders.

    P.S. Google 'bulimia support groups' and you will find links to websites with chat room support groups.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    You can not do this on your own. No woman is an island. This is a medical problem. Your parents wont hate you, they will be happy that you came to them for their advice, plus it shows that you trust them, and in return they trust you. You can beat this on your own. Please talk to someone about this, even a school counselor. People love to help other people, so you will be doing them a favor, and making them feel good about themselves if you ask for help

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    You cannot get over this on your own. You have to reach out and ask for help from your doctor. Tell someone now what you have been doing and tell them you want to get help before you end up dead.

  • 1 decade ago

    Hon, all you have to do is truly want to. I was annorexic for a while, I didn't tell anyone, but someone finally noticed..I had to get help to stop.

    You need to stop.

    I'm 5'4" and 96 lbs, and I had the same problem, I just wouldn't admit it to myself or anyone else.

    Go to someone you trust...Tell them...ask them for help.

    You can do it if I did.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.