How much money should I expect from fafsa if...?

I have EFC of zero. I will attend my first year to UNO in New Orleans.

Favorite Answer

EFC of zero means that you will likely be eligible for more financial aid. It does not mean that you (or your parents) won't have to pay anything. Every school comes up with an expected cost of attendance or COA. COA includes tuition, room, board, books, school supplies, transportation, etc. For example if your school's tuition is $3000 per semester and room and board is $1500, estimated books are $500 and school supplies $200 per semester, and transportation $1000 per semester. Your estimated COA is $12400 for the school year (fall and spring semester). Your school will try to offer a financial aid package that covers the entire COA. This is done with a combination of scholarships, federal loans and grants (stafford, pell grant, etc.) and other educational related funds.

The best thing to do is to contact the financial aid officer at your school. Ask about the COA and how the school meets the financial needs of students. Have a working relationship with them so they can understand your school needs personally and not just from a piece of paper and computer generated number.

Visit the Student Aid website: http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/en...

It has information about Stafford loans (subsidized, unsubsidized), grants, and other monies and how much you can borrow each school year and each semester.

I wish you the best in your educational endeavors.

Source(s): http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/en... and personal experience as a undergraduate and now graduate student.

Don't be concerned. If your EFC (expected family contribution) is zero then it will cover your tuition and fees and you will probably have enough left over to get books or whatever you need.

It depends how much your school states that it costs for attendance and expenses. That determines how much you can get, also if you take out the available loans.

Each state is different...I live in California and I get about 2500 per semester.

no clue what EFC is

FAFSA will get you the money though

maybe not for books though

Source(s): experience
  • Jupe

I go 3/4 time, I get about $2500. a term.