Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

Has anyone ever had a non-reassuring non-stress test?

If so, please tell me how far along you were and what your doctor decided to do. Thanks Oh, and why you had to have the test in the first place

Favorite Answer

I had to have NST's twice a week for what seemed like forever!! Honestly I think it was from my 25th week or so. Anyway, I had to have NST's because my pregnancy was considered high risk since I had chronic high blood pressure prior to getting pregnant.

At 37 weeks, I went in for my routine NST. When they do NST's they look for accelerations in the baby's heartrate and also fetal kicks (which I'm sure you know). Well, after I drank a can of orange juice to wake her up, the doctor wasn't pleased with the NST strip. She wasn't kicking and didn't have many (if any) accelerations. Unfortunately my doctor was on vacation, so that doctor that was seeing me decided to do an ultrasound to make sure everything is alright. After my baby got over a bout of hiccups, the doctor wasn't satisfied with the ultrasound since the baby wasn't "practicing breathing". When they do an ultrasound they rate certain things they see the baby doing and my baby didn't get a high enough score... so I had to be induced.

I went to the hospital to be induced it the induction didn't work the first day I was there. The next morning another doctor came in to see me and he didn't see why I had to be induced. He thought the baby looked good on the fetal heart monitor and didn't see a rush. However, it was my decision and I just decided to go through with the induction anyway.

Sometimes babies are stubborn... maybe she was sleeping during my NST and the doctor over-reacted by sending me right to the hospital.

That's my story.... not sure if it is reassuring or if it helps.

Good Luck.

Non-stress tests are ordered by the doctor when you have a condition that could potentially cause your pregnancy to become high risk. Examples include diabetes, high blood pressure, a fetal anomaly, two vessel umbilical cord, too much or too little amniotic fluid, history of stillbirth, decreased fetal movement, a fetal heart rate that is too high or too low, dips (or decelerations) in the fetal heart rate, problems with the placenta, maternal diseases or conditions (like heart problems, thyroid problems, auto-immune diseases, etc.), and many other conditions.....

For a non-stress test, you are hooked up to the fetal monitor. A reactive, or reassuring, non-stress test is when the baby's heart rate increases (or accelerates) at least 15 beats above the baseline heartrate for at least 15 seconds or more. When this occurs at least twice in a 20 minute period, it indicates that baby is doing well. (This test is usually only for babies greater than 28 weeks gestation).

A non-reassuring NST would mean that the baby's heart rate was not accelerating, or that the baby was having decelerations. In this case, the doctor most likely makes a decision about whether to follow up the NST with an ultrasound, or to actually deliver the baby.

NST's are usually ordered twice weekly from 28 weeks, or from when a problem is discovered. Any NST can potentially turn into a hospital admission, and possibly an induction or c-section, depending on how the baby looks on the monitor.

Hope this answers your question!

Source(s): Labor and delivery nurse for 12 years