do i need an internet connection to log into my wireless router?

i have a netgear wireless router and my cable modem is located in 1 room and my computer is located in another. do i tried to plug my netgear up to my computer via a cat5e cable to log into the wireless router. when i go to 192.168.1.1 i get nothing. it's powered up but i can't get in. it looks like i need to hook up the internet correct? i just want to change the firmware and i was hoping i could do it without the internet. any suggestions

Favorite Answer

You don't need to be on the internet to get into your router when your cable is hooked up. You DO need to set up networking on your computer though. ~

No, you don't need an internet connection. Try 192.168.0.1, I think that is the default address for a netgear router. if not go to start, run, type cmd, press enter, in the black window type ipconfig -a, look where it says gateway and try that ip address. Make sure you got an ip address from the router it should be listed there as well if you didn't get one or it starts with a 6, try hitting the rest button on the router to reset it to factory specs. Which should make it 192.168.0.1 again.

Unfortunately nope. The router is in charge of broadcasting and if it not then you can't see it. I would just re-set it to factory defaults(assuming that it's yours) other than that there's nothing you'll be able to do.

Sounds like you need to hook directly to your wireless router. If you have any more questions just email me.

• You don't need an internet connection !!

had you read the router manual ?? as some routers uses 192.168.1.254 as the admin interface !!