Are there any birds that I won't be allergic too?

I really want a bird but I am highly allergic to them (swelling and watery eyes, sneezing whenever I come near them.) Are there any birds that are hypoallergenic or any birds that I won't be allergic to?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

go to a pet shop and hang out with them.

See which ones you react to.

Birds are cool. I hope you can get one, I have had them all of my life and cant imagine being without them.

• 1 decade ago

Some birds are more likely to cause allergic reactions than others- the australian parrots, like cockatoos and cockatiels, tend to be very dusty and will bother a lot of people. Other birds, like conures are less dusty. If you can find a bird like a conure that isn't as dusty and you give it baths often, it might ot bother you. However, you should probably think about what you want in a pet bird. If you don't mind having a bird that you don't really handle, you might consider a pair of finches or a canary, or even a pair of parakeets (although parakeets do tend to flutter a lot of dust and debris out of their cages. Parakeets alone DO need human contact and companionship, so if you aren't going to handle them, I suggest getting two.)

• kim
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Usually the only allergy affecting birds are cockatoos, cockatiels & african greys. These birds creat alot of dust & dander. All others are fine but there are a few people who do have some allergy towards others too.

As suggested, go to pet shops, breeders etc & see what you can handle & can't.

• 1 decade ago

dont go for cockatoos or african greys who are powder based... go for more of the amazons or macaws that are oil based or if you have the money.. a Toucan or anacaris... i have a toco toucan, amazon, coaktoo and greys!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.