cotracting work out?

I work for a delivery comapnay where we have 15

company drivers.I had a route I really liked for

3 years,they took it away from me and contracted it out.Why they did it? I have asked for it back and they

said it is cheaper.The company is cotracting more

of our work out which I feel is a threat to our jobs.

I have said something about it and the station manager gets mad at me. I said use an employee

of the comapnay to do the work. I resent it them

taking our work away. Do you think it is unfair?

Favorite Answer

You are right this is a threat to your job, but I am not sure there is much you can do about it. If they can contract out the work you are doing for less money then so can a competitor. Sooner or later the work will go to the low cost supplier. It isn't very pleasant but that is the way things work nobody wants to pay more than they have to for anything.

Nowadays a lot of companies contracting out their works. Canada Post has contracting out their jobs for more then 15 years. Almost every 7 Eleven stores have postal outlets. 7 Eleven pay their employee minimum wages. Canada Post pay their employee $15 to $22 per hour with a very good benefit package and pension plan. Before you only can buy stamps from the Post Office Monday to Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Now 7 Eleven opens everyday with long hours of service.

DHL has contracting out their works as well. It is better for the company because they do not have to pay employee benefits. Since the contractors are self-employed, they are more aggressive. They try to work harder and make more money.

It is very hard to say it is good for you or not, because if you are employed, you only make so much per month. It does not matter how hard you work. If you are a contractor, you are your own boss.

I cannot say it is fair or unfair to you. The truth is that you will see more and more company out-sourcing their services.

I talked to one of the DHL couriers one time. He is a contractor. He told me he sub-contract some of his work to another guy. He works in the morning till 1:00 pm, and the other guy start after he finish. He looks happy about the work.