What is the most sobering experience you have ever had?

Favorite Answer

Being intoxicated when I walked some girls to their car and was jumped by 3 muggers with guns and a gun put to my forehead. I sobered up quick and saved the girls. I ended up in the hospital for 10 days though where they gave me morphine and un-sobered me, but, even so, I was much more sober mentally than ever before.

I had a coworker that lost her child, a newborn. I walked into the funeral home and they asked if I wanted to see the baby. I really did not want to but the mother seemed to want me to see her. When they placed the baby in my arms, wrapped in her blanket just like she was asleep. I stood there half in shock not knowing what was happening. I realized after a few seconds that I was bouncing the baby like I would be doing if she were still alive. As I looked down at that sweet little baby, it was an extremely sobering moment as I thought how lucky those of us are that have our children are to have never felt that type of pain.

I was about 14....at the beach with some friends. There was a commotiion in the water...and they took two small children out...siblings. There were, all told, 7 physicians/surgeons/interns who were in the immediate area. None of them could do anything to revive the children...in spite of trying their best. It was the first time I had 'seen death'.....and it taught me that some things ARE irreversible.

When I O.D.'d on drugs at a getogether and my "friends" wouldn't take me to the hospital because they were too afraid to get in trouble.

I recovered with the help of a real friend. Never ever touch the stuff or talk to those people since.

I don't know if it was when I had to get a lump removed from my breast (it ended up to just be a cyst Phew!) Or watching a friend go through a painful death or watching my co worker have a heart attack the other day!!

I was tired and I was angry at my son out of proportion compared to what had happened and I saw how unhappy and scared he became and I realized I do not want him to grow up insecure and I do not want to loose his trust.

It is the day my wife had our first child and I realized the awesome responsibility that goes with it . I call it the " The day I grew up "

27 years and still going strong ,thank God.