Does sarcasm exist in languages other than English?

Like french? I'm worried about a french exchange student who's coming over and what if something sarcastic slips out of my mouth. I speak french, but how do I explain it is sarcasm?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes indeed it does. I speak French and french sarcasm is just as biting as english sarcasm. Just tell your friend you are being sarcastic. Think before you speak.

• 4 years ago

Oh yeah sarcasm do exist in different languages, without doubt. Sarcasm isn't centered at the language, however on how people have interaction and type recommendations to place right into a language. Humor exists in each and every language however the tradition has to very aid it for the language to supply mighty phrases to make use of in humor. But does sarcasm paintings in a web-based interplay...very difficult.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, I think there is. Well if there's a word that resembles sarcasm in french and ask her a question then she'll probably understand. But there sarcasm is probably different then ours. I don't know these are just assumptions.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, other langauges have sarcasm as well. That's like saying 'does only [insert language here] have sayings/proverbs?' it kinda develops with the language I think.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • jess
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

why wouldn't there be sarcasm in all languages?

depending on where you grew up though the manner in which it is used and expected might be a bit different.

• Joe M
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Yes. Some Japanese visitors were at my place. One of them saw an elk and said.. "Look at that deer".. The other said "That's an ELK, not a deer.." then followed with "konichiwaaaaa" in the same tone of voice one would say "hellooooooooooo" after pointing out something that should be obvious to another.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i sure hope so other wise the rest of the world be really serious and when visiting itally they were funny people and one guy who spoke english used sarcasm

• 1 decade ago

no, there are no forms of sarcasm in other languages, especially french.

• Suzye
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

yup! there is sarcasm in any language.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

hahahahah..... of course it exists in every language ^_^

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.