What can I buy at the supermarket to empty my bowels quick?

I have constipation and I want to drink or eat something that will help me out to empty my bowels. I heard prune juice may help, is there anything else?

Update:

I know I can buy laxative, but I would prefer something like food or juice because laxative is expensive.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You need a laxative. Any laxative will do. Some teas will do the trick.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

8 ounces-Half prune juice and water for the reason that you can get severe gas if you drink prune juice straight. That will hurt more than being constipated

If the above doesnt work it could be a more serious problem and you should consult your doctor immediatly. Maybe a blockage of somesort -- popcorn, peanuts could cause blockage in some people.

• 1 decade ago

Prune juice will definitely help, but also you can buy dried prunes and eat them. Also, people with constipation should drink alot of water, eat things with alot of fiber, such as veggies and fruits. Metamucil is another alternative, it can be purchased at a local drug store such as walgreens. But if its severe, i suggest visiting the doctors to get some bowel softners. Long term constipation can cause all sorts of problems, so take care of it soon! good luck!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If you can get a green Coconut --cut open to scoop out the soft kernel and eat this--- Your bowels will be washed through completely - Figs- or plums are also Bowel movers. The pharmacist will sell you a dose of Castor oil for little or nothing. One dose of this and your bowels will be completely clean through. Plenty of lentil Soup will also do the trick.

You do have a very wide choice in the matter.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Prunes and prune juice are good choices, cooked cereals send me running to the br quick, look for high fiber content in foods.Below is a link to a list of common high fiber foods.

• 1 decade ago

If you don't have kidney problems (kidney failure etc), you can take magnesium citrate. It is over the counter laxative and works very quickly. Dont' use it long term. And follow directions on the label. Also make sure it doesn't interact with other meds that you are taking.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You can get a glycerine suppository in the drug store area of the grocery store or at any pharmacy or if you don't need something that works IMMEDIATELY and can wait a few hours, buy Exlax in the market. It works more gently and you will be fine by the am

• 1 decade ago

drink hot cup of prune juce works like a charm drink befor bed and after ariseing in the morning and it is not as hard on you

• ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

fruit grows on woods or vines and fresh vegetables grow in the floor.

• debbie
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

glycerin suppository or fleets enema or Magnesium Citrate or Prune juice warmed up!! Also Sennakot or Docusate sodium(colace).

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.