Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 decade ago

Birth Control?

If birth control just makes you not release and "egg" than won't you have a bunch of leftover eggs from past months?

Like if you used birth control from age 15-25, instead of getting menopause around 50 you would get it around 60?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

lol no. a woman has about 2 million eggs in each ovary. starting menopause just means your body no longer releases the eggs, but they are still there. you dont release a certain amount of eggs in your life.

• Juliet
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Good question. Using birth control early in life doesn't delay menopause. But you can delay it by taking birth control pills into your 50s (though some doctors don't recommend it.) I'm in my 50s and still take birth control pills to get me though pre-menoupause symptoms - so I haven't gone through menopause yet.

However, the quality of the eggs deteriorates over time, regardless of how many are left - so taking birth control pills is not a fertility preserver. in other words, it won't make it easier for someone to have a healthy baby when they're older.

Hope this answers your question

• 1 decade ago

Birth control also stops the lining of the womb from thickening so I you by a tiny chance release an egg it won't implant.

The bleeding that you have in between your cycle when taking the pill is not a true period. It is a break through bleed.

• 1 decade ago

We start out with 1 million to 2 million pre-eggs (oocytes), at birth. Most of these die before we even reach puberty, at which time we're down to a paltry 400,000. Over the next 25 years, unless we're pregnant or on birth-control pills, one of these oocytes develops within a mature follicle that initially produces estrogen and after two weeks releases the egg (ovulation) and produces estrogen and progesterone. For every oocyte that comes to fruition each month, thousands die, and this relentless path of death and destruction leaves us with fewer, and "less youthful" oocytes in our 40s. They are less likely to fully develop into hormonally competent follicles that can secrete adequate amounts of estrogen and progesterone than those we had in our 20s and 30s.

The oocytes that have not died and have been waiting around for four decades are also extremely vulnerable to chromosomal tears, breaks and misinformation, so they are also less likely to be capable of releasing an egg that can successfully become fertilized, and subsequently produce a viable embryo. This explains why fertility rates, (both natural and those subsequent to high-tech reproductive assistance) plummet in our 40s. "Reproductive menopause" can occur 10 years before true menopause (at which time virtually no productive follicles are left and estrogen and progesterone cannot be produced).

When a follicle develops poorly, it usually produces less hormone and may die off before its time, causing a menstrual period to occur sooner than usual; a 28-day cycle (counted from first day of one period to the first day of the next one), is now 24 days or less. If the diminished follicle produces too little estrogen, menopausal-type symptoms can occur even though you have your period. Scientists know that estrogen and progesterone affect the brain by altering levels of neurotransmitting substances; this, in turn, can have an affect on mood. As both estrogen and progesterone levels fall, especially at their nadir, or dip, just prior to and during your period, you may feel depressed, have hot flashes, night sweats and develop insomnia. During this period of low estrogen, you really can feel like you are experiencing a dress rehearsal for menopause.

With poor follicular development and low estrogen, your period may also "go missing." After a while, however, the hypothalamus in your brain may become activated because there's just too little estrogen in the neighborhood, so it stimulates pituitary production of FSH (Follicular Stimulating Hormones). This, in turn, can cause a bunch of residual follicles to develop, and a hormonal surge; excess amounts of estrogen then can cause pregnancy-like symptoms (breast tenderness and bloating). If at this time your hormone levels are checked, you would be told you are fine. A month later estrogen levels could plummet and you would then have an elevation of FSH. For some women these hormonal swings cause more symptoms (mood swings, intermittent hot flashes, breast tenderness, cycle changes, sleep disturbances and weight changes) and are more severe than those experienced in menopause.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16640589/wid/6448213/

Hope this helps!

Source(s): Dr. Judith Reichman TODAY show contributor
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Well I really got no anwser but that is a good question. Now that I think of it, it is a great question! Good luck finding the answer!

• 1 decade ago

Ok, so if you cut yourself you bleed....but if you didn't cut yourself, would your body still make the blood you would have lost and you swell up like a balloon?

• 1 decade ago

wow, good question. I don't know but I'll be interested in seeing the answer!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.