NA
NA asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Is it possible to burn fat before it gets stored in the body?

I dont know if i worded the question correctly.

Lets say I eat a slice of pizza and then a half hour later I swim laps. Is it possible to burn off the fat/calories that I ate in the pizza before they have time to get processed through the body? Or is the fat that is burned during exercise stored fat?

It would make sense to me that after burning 'new fat' (the fat from the slice of pizza) that after that new fat is burned, THEN stored fat begins being burned off. Is that how it works?

Favorite Answer

Your body has to get more calories than it uses to store the energy, that is how we gain or lose weight. Regardless of whether what you eat is fat calories or complex carbohydrates it is the same thing. If you exercise and burn more than you ate then you do not gain weight. Your idea of burning the calories before you digest them is not the way it works. You can not burn off calories before they leave your digestive track. You do not burn off the new calories while they are in your stomach or intestines. So if you are counting calories and exercising eat healthy and you can control your weight.

You cannot spot reduce fat. Your body uses whatever fat it wants for fuel, not just the stuff that's covering the layer of muscle being worked. People will tell you to do crunches and planks and all that but it won't make any difference. For you, if you're relatively lean and healthy, going for a 3 mile jog 4 to 5 times a week will help shave off that excess fat over time. I know you're 15 so I figure your diet consists of whatever mom and dad make for dinner so that's alright. Start jogging and that will get your fat levels lower. Afterwards, design your own ab workout to tone the muscles underneath so when that fat loss occurs, those abs show up. Use these: -Crunches (knees bent, knees in the air) -Bicycle Crunches -Crunches holding weight above your body w/ straight arms -Torso twists (hold weight in your arms on your chest, raise your back and feet off the ground so only your hips are touching, and then move the weight from one side of your body to the other). -Leg Extensions/Lifts

Everything that you eat gets turned into simpler compounds before your body can process them. You body will burn sugars first and then fat. The bile from your liver helps to break down fat and from there it is digested and sent out through the body. The foods that we eat are what our body used for "fuel" first and then we use the stored stuff. You actually need the fat in the foods that you eat to keep your body going. The human body is actually like a very complex machine and the food you eat is what the cells use for energy. As long as you don't overeat, or eat exessive amounts of very fatty foods then you are fine. The laps you swim will help, and after exercise like that your metabolism is a bit higher, and you will even metablolize fat at a faster rate. Good luck to you.

I don't think so, for your body to utilize something it has to be processed first. So the food that you just ate is not digested yet so it's not available for use. The food is then going to be broken down into energy for the body to utilize I am not sure how long this process takes but I'm sure you can't do what you described. For the first 30 minutes your just going to be using the quick energy that you body has already prepared with the carbs that you ingested hours earlier.

Correction to my previous answer to your question re sun exposure and Vitamin D - in this morning's newspaper. "All you need is 5 minutes of sun exposure a day, three to four times a week, on a skin area the size of your hands or face.....On balance, it's better to minimize the risk of skin cancer (with sunscreen).....Make sure the sunscreen blocks UVA as well as UVB rays (broad spectrum) and is rated at SPF 30 or higher....use about two tablespoons to cover the entire body....repeat every three to four hours."

Source(s): Vancouver Sun Newspaper, July 9 2007, by Mark Lupin, Regional Director of the Canadian Dermatology Association.