How long do you have to report being raped? This is in New York state.?

I would like to know how many years you have to report a rape before you can no longer press charges. If you are able to find a webpage with this information, I would greatly appriciate you sending me the url. Thanks in advance.

Favorite Answer

New York

Limitation: Prosecution for Class B (first degree rape) and Class D (second degree rape) felonies must be commenced within 5 years of the offense. Where the victim was under 18 at the time of the offense, the period of limitation does not begin to run until the victim turns 18 or the offense is reported to a law enforcement agency or statewide central register of child abuse and mistreatment, whichever occurs earlier.

DNA Exception: The statute of limitations for prosecution of the class B felony of rape in the first degree is extended from five years to ten years after the commission thereof when based upon forensic DNA testing.

I hope this helps!

Due to the increase in rapes..........crimes against children, many states have increased the statue of limitations on such crimes. I don't know about on line,I think the library would have what you need. Why would you even consider waiting? That is the biggest problem law enforcement has now, getting victims to come forward. If you never reported the rape, there's no vaginal swabs, which leaves no physical evidence, if there are or were any witnesses, their memories have faded. You'll have to start from scratch.......LATER.....

If it is a felony forcible rape then there is no statute of limitations in most states. I know New York is controversial in having a statute of limitations and they are probably going to change that soon.

there is no limit on how long you have to report a rape in any state. There may be a limit on whether the state attorney can press charges but report it and let them do something if they can. Sometimes they have creative ways to get around late reporting so do it and maybe save some other chick from getting raped. And get some counseling if you think it would help. It was not your fault and stop beating yourself up wondering if you were. Been there. Done that.

I don't have a website, but the statute i belive is 3 years. However, if you want to be taken seriously, and you really want something done, don't shower first and go directly to the hospital and they will help you file.

It was five years, however New York has removed the statute of limitations on first degree rape: http://www.gothamgazette.com/article/Law/20060630/...

• WC

The longer you wait to report it, the more time for evidence to be lost or destroyed, and your story will be questionable, if too much time passed.

According to feminists, there should be no time limit, but that's only because they're infected with the liberal disorder.

In other words, liberal feminists believe that if someone decides that it's "rape" 5 years down the road (probably while drunk or on drugs), that's fine and she should "come forward".

i think generally it runs out in 5 years, but i dont know about NY specifically.

i think within 5 years