William W asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

My dog loved people, now is very aggressive.?

I have a 1.25 year old Border Collie mix, 35 lbs. I got her from a shelter at age 2 months. I have read and generally tried to follow the Cesar Millan way - exercise, discipline, and affection. Due to lots of work and school over the last 6 months, the dog gets much less exercise and attention. She now is barking a lot more (out of boredom, I'd assume), but is also more aggressive toward people and dogs when we do walk. Will try to run up to people and bark loudly at them, enough that people are scared. I made the mistake of having her off leash recently, and she terrified an older couple. Is all of this a result of too little exercise, and no clear pack leader? What can I do since I don't have much time during the day?

Favorite Answer

With a young Border Collie it is absolutely out of boredom and not having a clear pack leader.

Border Collies are herding dogs and are naturally aggressive (and before everyone start giving me the thumbs down, I don't mean they are naturally mean). It is in their nature to chase and confine and will resort to that if not given another outlet.

If all you have is weekends to spend time with her, make the most of it. Get into something physically intensive (such as agility or flyball) with her and definitely get into an obedience class with her. These usually meet in the evenings or on weekends.

Could you get a treadmill? Caesar advises that when people cant exercise their dog on a regular basis. It also does seem as the dog considers herself to be the leader, but maybe the treadmill will help. You can also put a backpack on her with some weight (he usually recommends sand or something like that) to tire her out in a shorter time. Consider walking her for 20 minutes with a backpack. Good luck.

Source(s): The Dog Whisperer Show and have owned dogs my whole life.

Here is a list of dog training resources that I have found a lady to teach. I think the 4th recommendation could be your bet if you don't have all that much time as it helps you get your dog trained really, really quickly.

http://www.royalreviews.info/dog-training

Good Luck, They are hard these little critters!

It's possible that someone's been teasing your dog. I've seen this when people would tease my dogs they'd bark at the person that teased them. Even if I walk to the store and my friend's dog comes out after me I'll take my belt off and chase it off.

• DP

Yeah she needs more exercise and socialization.. You should find a good trainer, or some classes in your area.

let hm walk wit a mussle on hm nd wen people walk pasted nd wen he barkes tel d people that its ok he has a mussle nd let d dog smelld people nd start playing wit him more in your backgarden lk fetch or sumtin enjoyable 4 both of u

enroll in training classes... this dog needs proper socialization and you could use some obedience pointers

maybe u hit him or something or u said something to him that he did not like or maybe someone did something to him