Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Dining OutOther - Dining Out · 1 decade ago

Giving tips based on my experience and mood rather than percentage.. good or bad ??

I keep on hearing that when paying for a meal at a resturant that there is a special percentage that is customary to give the waiter or watress. Is it right or wrong for me to forget the percentage and just give a lump sum based on the service and my mood... ?

Favorite Answer

The tip ratio is 18 to 20 percent of the total of the bill. (i.e. $1.80 to $2.00 for every $10.00 spent) However, for exceptional service it is ok to go beyond the 20 percent range. Servers make an hourly wage of $2.65 per hour (yes, really) and rely on tips as a means of supporting themselves. (and often times their families too) I encourage you to tip and tip well when possible.

Source(s): I have been a server for over 10 years.
  • mytych

I start up at 20% every time. If the service is powerful, then they get the entire factor. service contains: time it takes to get my drink and nutrition order taken, how long my glass maintains to be empty, how long until my grimy plates are left on my table, how long it takes them to hold my invoice and the section which will make the top drop via 0.5 is, in the event that they do no longer ask for my I.D when I pay with my credit card, it says it on the returned, my call on the returned of my credit playing cards is see I.D. they're meant to examine it to make particular the signature on the returned suits the only on the reciept.

As long as it's not lower than 15% (even though that's a slap in the face in today's world) and the norm is 18-20%.

Yes a server should not have to pay just because you are in a bad mood....now if you want to give them extra just cause you feel generous that is ok....there is nothing wrong with being giving...you know that...

15% i round to twenty percent take off a dollar or two. three if bad service and one if good.