Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 1 decade ago

lice question?

My sister has been playing with her friends for three days, and today i noticed they were being checked for lice.

I freaked and tried to question my sister about it.

I need to see if she has lice and i don't know how.

So MY QUESTION IS- What is the best way to find lice?

Please help!!

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Check her hair.

and if you don't know how they look like.

They look like little ants but there clear and the way to check

her/his hair is to pull her/his hair just a little to get to the sculp and thats where they will be if she has any.

and before you check her/his hair ask if she/he is itchy at all.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Source(s): HiLz
  • 1 decade ago

Look at the base of the hairline, right at the neck. That is where they are likely to congregate if they are there. You will likely see tiny white "nits" which are the eggs and they look like dandruff but they are stuck to the hair shaft and need to be pulled off with your fingernails--gross. Your child's head will also itch.

If you find them, don't panic. Go to the pharmacy and get an over the counter kit for headlice. It is a really noxious shampoo treatment which you may have to do more than once to get rid of them. Also, all nits need to be combed out of the hair with this fine comb that comes in the kit. It is not hard. Just annoying.

Also, be sure to wash all bedding, jackets, hair accessories, stuffed animals, etc. in hot water. If there is a stuffed animal that can't be washed, put it into a sealed plastic bag for 6 months, depriving any lice of oxygen and therefore killing them and any eggs they may have laid.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You are going to have to look closely. If you see something that looks like a jelly bean that's had the coating sucked off, and it doesn't move when you blow on it, it could be an egg. You have to check behind the ears and the baseline of the hairline. If she does have lice, just treat it properly and wash bedding and all that. A lot of people don't treat it properly and it comes back. Follow the directions on the package. And remember, just because it's washed every night doesn't mean anything. Actually, lice don't like dirty hair, they prefer clean hair. Lousy isn't it? (No pun intended.) Just don't freak. A trick I've learned to do with my girls is to spray their hair in the morning with hairspray (top and under) and as long as I've done that, they were okay.

• mel s
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I worked at a school for years.... You need to buy one of those lice combs. Turn the head upside down and comb from the bottom onto a black cloth. Watch for the little brown bugs or the white eggs.

Also, if you can't get to a comb right now. Check around the ears, nape and scalp for the bugs. The eggs are wrapped around the hair, you can't blow them off like dandruff, you actually have to grip the hair tightly between the nails and strip it.

Good Luck

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Look at the hair right near the root. Eggs are small and round, and kind of difficult to remove; they're laid on the hair shaft. Lice crawl around and can be a little harder to catch, but you'll definitely know if you find one. Eggs are harder to identify cause they look very similar to dry scalp. A nurse at school or the dr's office can check as well and teach you the best way to identify everything.

• 1 decade ago

Are they itching their heads! If so its lice..very hard to get rid of..you can buy a robbie comb at drug mart for about 30.00 and its the best..there is also shampoo but can cause mental problems because it goes through the pores..the comb you just comb through hair and can be used over and over again. All bedding ...anywhere you sit...cars...all have to be cleaned and sprayed with lice spray..and all stuffed animals must be placed in a sealed page for at least 2 weeks. Everyone in the house must be treated. It is very hard to find a live on in the hair but their eggs are easy..it looks like dandrif on the strands of hair but they do not come off..they will hack and spread fast..treat ASAP. Best way to find it is look through hair or hair strands that are in your brush..

• 1 decade ago

Just look through her hair carefully all the way down to the roots. I'm not sure what the gestation period for lice is. Find out if her friends actually had lice. You might be worrying for nothing.

• MJ
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

You can take her outside and drag a fine toothed comb through her hair starting at the base of the hair and pulling out. If you come back with eggs and bugs go to the store and get th full treatment and follow those directions.

• 1 decade ago

Check the hair peices, close to the scalp, little white eggs stuck to the hair, check by the ears, the back of the head near the neck, good luck,

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You just part the hair and check. Check all around the head. If they are there you will see them or thier eggs. The eggs stick to the hair shaft, thats how you can tell them apart from a flake. Dont cut the hair, it wont help.

• 1 decade ago

they all like to hang out on the bottom hairline and behind the ears, so lift up the back of her hair and look about an inch into the hair from the hairline. if it is going around the school and you are worried, then just treat her anyway, beause it repels them for 14(ish) days.

Source(s): i had lice in elementary school
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.