Tango Juice asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

will las vegas get nhl team?

Best Answer

Some poor answers there Joe. I think within the next 5 years a team will be in Vegas, either hockey or basketball. Hopefully hockey is ahead of the game and does it first. It would be wildly successful IMO.

Jerry Bruckenheimer (sp), the CSI producer guy has been mentioned as trying to get a hockey team there.

I realize this is long, but I hope some of your take the time to read it. I have lived in Las Vegas since 1993, moved from Queens NY. First, prostitution is not legal in Clark County, where LV is located. Yes, there are illegal ones, just like every other city. Next, yes, we have gangs, but no different than NY, Chicago, Boston, Philly, LA, Detroit, etc.Those cities have hockey teams, BTW. Those 400-500 arrests from the NBA all-star weekend were those who came in from out-of- town, specifically to cause trouble. The NBA didn't provide any tickets for locals here to purchase, not that I would have anyway. True hockey fans are smarter than that. The Arena Football team sucked with an out-of-state owner who didn't give a crap. and the team is moving to Cleveland next season.(What an improvement!) As far as an NHL team, I don't think it will happen. We already have an ECHL team, the Wranglers (an affiliate of the Calgary Flames and Quad City Flames of the AHL). It does well, on the ice and financially. It even cares about the kids, by scheduling a 9:30 am game called"School Field Trip Day" and giving away backpacks to the students.The fan base is locals(as opposed to tourists, or F..stupid visitors), so most of the teams income would NOT be from tourists. I rarely venture near the Strip, unless an friend comes in for a visit or to see the Wranglers at The Orleans Arena, which can hold about 7,700 hockey fans. It is a separate world for locals and tourists. The casinos wouldn't mind losing the hockey betting, as they don't derive much from it. Many people who have moved here come from CA, and have brought their hockey interest with them.The annual pre-season game between the Kings and the Rockies is always a sell-out. Part of the problem is the transient nature of the population. 4-5 thousand move here every month, but 2-3 thousand leave, especially since the housing market slump has hit here harder than most. Our hispanic population is growing (not a knock) and most, not all, don't bring much hockey knowledge. Las Vegas is actually part of the Kings territory(not sure about Anaheim), so I guess any team that comes here would have to pay a "territorial rights fee" to the Kings, similiar to what the Islanders had to pay the Rangers back in 1972 (it was 4 million back then).

As long as it is a team that moves to the city, then maybe. If it it to be a new team, I would be against that forever and a day. The NHL is hurting as is due to the fact that the talent pool is too small to support the league. Players who 20 years ago wouldn't have even made it through the first day of try-outs are now centers on third lines for clubs. It's not right. The NHL is to big as is, and if anything, needs to down-size. Not by much, but they do need to down-size. Las Vegas doesn't really seem like a hockey town to me, but if they can put forth a good case, I'm all ears. The NHL has no right to expand, only down-size.

Source(s): Edit: to the genius below me: that's why Las Vegas has a professional hockey team already. While they play in the ECHL and not the NHL, it is still professional hockey. Might wanna know all the facts before you start answering questions on here.

Never. Just as with all the other pro sports, everybody in vegas has they're own hometown team to cheer for. The majority of people from vegas are from somewhere else. Just like I will always be a Sabres and Bills fan there are others who are Chicago, New York , or Boston fans.

Vegas does have a farm team for hockey ( the Wranglers), but I don't even go see them because they are not my team. And I've lived here for 10 years.

I hope they never do because of the gambling thing. True, the Arena League has a team in Vegas, but the last I checked the Arena League is not held with the same prestige as the NHL.

It won't happen. Gambling is frowned upon in the NHL (Rick Tocchet? Janet Jones-Gretzky? Yes, you remember). Secondly, the city doesn't have a large home base of support as most of the civilians are there for entertainment purposes (refer back to gambling), and hence will not refer to their team as theire "home": team. Thirdly, the NHL is still suffering from other franchises placed in locations with little hockey interest (i.e., Carolina, Nashville) and is not going to be bitten again--unless Gary Bettman is that stupid.

No as for the simple fact that most of the hockey teams that play in warm weather places (with the exception of the Dallas Stars) don't seem to be able to create a large fan base. Teams like Tampa Bay, Florida, Atlanta, and Nashville have all complained that they lose money every year based on salaries and revenue, yet these teams except Florida and Atlanta have consistently winning teams but nobody cares for the sport there unless its on the verge of winning a championship. There is even talks that Nashville is on the verge of being sold to a canadian businessman and moved to Hamilton, Ontario Canada.

Never Nevada doesn't allow Professional teams in their State Gambling is king and the People are Happy with the Teams from Back Home Wherever that is.

Well based on how Bettman thinks it will be better to gamble on a team in Vegas than put one in a market where they will succeed and make money like Hamilton or Winnipeg.

No. While it is a big market, they will never get a pro team in any sport. There are lots of tourists, not many people who actually live there to support them. Plus, people would gamble away their ticket money. If they tried to put a team there it would instantly die because it would suck at first and never gain a fan base.