Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

what does a person do when their color contradicts who thay identify with?

the race is how they feel trapped

• Muffie
    Favorite Answer

I'm Hispanic on the outside. I'm middle-class suburban white chick on the inside. I speak a few phrases of Spanish with an awful accent.

Honestly, most of the "white" people I deal with, after speaking with me for a few minutes, don't even remember that I'm physically Hispanic. Hispanics have issues with it since I don't know "my" language, "my" heritage, or "my" Church. I'm American. I speak English very well, thank you. I'm familiar with no only American history, but the basic tenets of the philosophies our culture has been based on, thank you. I'm a Zen Buddhist, we're short on temples here in the belly button lint of the bible belt.

What do I do? I hold my ground, as it were. I know myself, my beliefs, and spend some time learning the beliefs of those that are hostile toward me because I'm not like what they expect me to be. It can be confrontational and I'm not fond of verbal confrontations, but there are times when you dig in. It helps that I only identify myself as Hispanic on things like census forms where "race" rather than "ethnicity" is an issue. I'm an American by heritage and by ethnicity. That's a truth that I can stick to.

Of course, I'm not a girl with a middle class white childhood trying to identify myself with Tupac. I'm not trying to identify myself as a Japanese Buddhist, just a Zen Buddhist (which has no ethnicity). I don't believe I was born in the wrong place or the wrong time. Well, that kind of thinking isn't in keeping with my religion anyway. See what is, not what I desire to see and all that. I'm getting all tangential, so I'm going to stop now.

Quit looking for a problem and BE how you desire to be (as long as you follow Jesus as Lord) and do what you want to do, within righteous guidelines! There is no such thing as "color contradictions". There is cultural differences in every race from the other races but that isn't set in stone and we are more alike than different!

• ansby

i do no longer think of you grants a depiction that would distinguish purple from the different colorations, yet you need to have the skill to describe some thing approximately what colorations are like. With our sight we are able to distinguish the form of gadgets and their length and the feel of their floor. those are all issues that a blind person ought to understand via fact they may well be felt with the palms. you could say that the flaws around you have shade additionally, it incredibly is a property of the mild contemplated off of them, that they are like texture, in a manner, yet sensed with the help of the eyes incredibly of the palms or pores and skin. That there are 7 or 8 different colorations yet they grade into one yet another and each and each has some changes.

You can only be yourself.

If you are accepted by the people you identify with that should not be a problem.

I attend a church that has every color of person you can imagine and we all get along just fine. Color is only skin deep. It is our mind set that determines who and what we really are.

We are first children of God, all the other stuff is second in importance.

you know i look into the mirror and ask,God did uou make a mistake? the first step of love is total and unconditional love and acceptance for the self.God loves you just like you are .your hair(which i have none) your eyes your teeth.He loves the parts of you that you dont love yet.There are good parts of us and there are the bad parts the sinful parts we all sruggle and mean all every human being.Ask God to help you

accept and love yourself correctly.

you mean if a white guy feels like a black guy?

yeah. that never happens.

there is NOTHING different about being black and white or any other "race."

we're all the same.

people have just formed "cultures" to separate themselves. like "black culture." there is nothing inherent about being black that means you have to be a part of that so-called "culture"

Are you talking about Michel Jackson?

• Ericho

not enough information given.

do you mean when white guys portray the hip hop and black guys act white?

what are you trying to say?

what color do you speak of?