promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

c battery 3/319 artillery 173rd abn unit awards and commedations?

I'm looking for information on the above unit from 1967-1968 in Vietnam. I believe an award was issued for a battle near Bong Song there was a cemetery and a church nearby. The fighting got to be hand to hand after perimiter was breached. Anyone with information on this please contact me I need it for claim with the V A.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

" 3d Battalion, 319th Field Artillery was the first U.S. Army artillery unit engaged in combat in Southeast Asia. At 0530 hours on 5 May 1965, the first of over 150 sorties of C130 aircraft loaded with me and equipment of the 173d Airborne Brigade landed at Bien Hoa Air Base from Okinawa. In direct support of the Brigade was the 3d Battalion (Airborne), 319th Field Artillery. The men of the 319th had a jump of two months on fellow "Redlegs", which enabled them to compile an impressive list of firsts. One of the most important was the firing of the first field artillery round by a U.S. Army unit in Vietnam from the base piece of Battery C during a registration.

Battery A participated in a combat jump into Katum, 60 miles northwest of Saigon, on 22 February 1967, with other elements of the Brigade. This operation included a heavy drop of all of the Battery's howitzers. For a short period of time 3d Battalion was under operational control of 1st Division and in support of the South Vietnamese Airborne Brigade for "Operation Masher/White Wing."

Headquarters, U.S. Army, Vietnam, authorized a fourth battery for the 3d Battalion, 319th Field Artillery. The Battalion supported five maneuver battalions and badly needed the additional artillery support. 3d Battalion maintained continuous contact with the Artillery and Missile School, by sending letters, memorandums, and debriefings, etc. These were studied and discussed in an effort to include new and valuable information for classroom instruction.

2d Battalion, 319th Artillery deployed with the 101st and arrived in Vietnam on 19 November 1967, performing the tactical mission of direct support to 3d Brigade.

2d Battalion was initially committed in the III Corps Tactical zone. In April and May of 1968, 2d Battalion supported 101st operations along the highlands of the Quang Tri and Thua Thien Provinces, having been redeployed north into I Corps Tactical Zone in March. This Battalion, along with the remainder of the 101st Airborne Division, was converted to a fully airmobile status from its former parachutist status by August 1968.

1969 found the 101st Division protecting the populated regions of the Thua Thien Province. Most of 1970 was spent on Operation Texas Star, where they supported 3d Brigade offensive sweeps against the enemy in the western portions of the Quang Tri and Thua Thien.

3d Battalion participated in numerous campaigns during the Vietnam conflict, and returned to the United States on 23 July 1971. The unit was awarded it's third Presidential Unit Citation, it's first Meritorious Unit Commendation, the Republic of Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm, and the Republic of Vietnam Civil Action Honor Medal and twelve battle streamers. On 14 January 1972, it was relieved from assignment to the 173d Airborne Brigade and assigned to the 101st Airborne Division at Fort Campbell, Kentucky. It remained there until the 319th Airborne Field Artillery Regiment was reactivated on 2 October 1986, when its colors replaced 2-321's.

On 12 November 1971, President Nixon announced all American troops would be employed in a purely defensive mode. 2d Battalion was awarded a third Presidential Unit Citation, the Valorous Unit Award, the Meritorious Unit Commendation, two Republic of Vietnam Crosses or Gallantry with Palm, and the Republic of Vietnam Civil Action Honor Medal and seven other battle streamers. 2d Battalion departed Vietnam on 20 December 1971, as part of Increment X of the U.S. Army withdrawal from Vietnam. 2d Battalion returned to Fort Campbell in December 1971 and was inactivated the following July. 2d Battalion was reactivated at Fort Bragg on 2 October 1986. It's colors replaced those of the 1-320th FA."

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.