This is for any WW2 Veterans -When you were serving in the war did you feel like you were?

clearly fighting for the greater good at the time and how do you suppose you would feel if you were in Iraq today would it feel like you were clearly fighting for the greater good.I honor respect and thank all veterans in all the wars but I was wondering were there lots of people against the war at the time before the the allied forces started finding mass graves.

Best Answer

My father served and I've collected his stories. When I asked him this same question during the Viet Nam war he told me that the general perception among the soldiers in WWII, who were much older on the average than they are today in Iraq, was that we were up against a terrible threat that had to be stopped. Hitler was invading one nation after another, homelands in Europe that were filled with relatives of many people here in the U.S.. The events in Europe were hitting home for many Americans.

Hitler was extending the doctrine of invasion for plunder beyond Wilson's ethical declaration against that practice. Traditionally, it was considered acceptable and even ethical to invade and plunder and seize from other nations in an ancient game of conquest. People after WWI were inspired with the notion that the Big Boys were not going to practice that doctrine any longer, that civilization had made a wonderful leap forward and that we were growing up, so to say. Hitler's regression back into that doctrine rattled everyone. There was a clear sense among the soldiers that they were the "good guys" and had the moral high ground.

Although our soldiers were largely united and focused against this threat of imperialism, the civilian population in the U.S. was not. There was a huge percentage of people who sided with fascism. Many people here, and not just people of German heritage, and U.S. businesses actually supported Hitler. Bush's own grandfather, Prescott Bush, sold Hitler over one-third of all the raw resources and ores that were used by the Germans in WWII until Roosevelt forced him to stop with the Trading with the Enemy Act. There were rumors of these U.S. Nazi sympathziers actually attempting a coup here.

Today, of course, the moral high ground is not evident as we fight in Iraq, mostly because we ourselves regressed back into imperialism and are the invaders plundering nations in sequence as Bush and Halliburton desire. The soldiers grumble about the first roads that they built were named after oil companies and that most of them are assigned to guard oil company properties.

My Father, age 83, is a WW2 veteran. He told me that in those days, men were eager to fight the enemy, because the enemy directly threatened our county's existence. ----Which meant to him, that his own family was threatened. My Father had suffered meningitis in his teens, and suffered a permanent hearing loss because of that illness, therefore he was not qualified by the U.S. Government to be drafted into WW2. And so instead, he insisted on enlisting voluntarily in the Army, and he served on the front lines of battle, where he lost the remaining fragment of his hearing, as a lad, from the high volume gun and tank blasts. He is now deaf because of his service to his country. He does not regret it, and says he would do it again. He does not condone the present war in Iraq. Yes. Our world War 2 Veterans stand in a true class of their own. True hero's, in ever sense of the word. That God for them. If it had not been for their courage, we may not be free today.

Source(s): WW2 veteran.

I may be all wrong, but any WW2 vet would be at least 80. It's unlikely they would be perusing the Rock and Pop category. Just a guess.

-MM