Weight loss and control by blocking absorption in the small intestine?

I have a theory that if we can inhibit the absorption of sugar (absorbed by fascilitated diffusion), fats, and/or proteins in the small intestine, we could control people's weights. The stomach would still get its ~15%, while the small intestine would get considerably less than its normal rate.

I thought of this while in physiology class. But it is true, we all like to eat. America could get in shape, eat great (not necessarily heathfully), and people would get rich! Sure, some like to argue that some people in the world are starving. But if we can get it, why not!? It will be produced!! We could eat a half pint of ice cream after eating a nice steak. To wash it down would be some delicious, very full-bodied beer. People would not even have to go crazy, just eat what they like to now..double portions and all. I hate eating 200-250 calories four to five times per day just to maintain a weight of 130 pounds! I can't even think about a decent serving of ice cream or chocol

And I guess I forgot to say that to get fat-solluble vitamins, ect, you would need to east twice as much is the dosage/strength blocks half of the absorption. Or if it blocks 75% of it you would eat about 4 times the amount you normally should, ect..

Also it would probably be best for certain sugars and other carbohydrates.

Favorite Answer

Oh Man...are you hungry now??

It sounds easy...however, you can get very undesirable side effects of such non-absorption idea...

Lets see some little problems with this formulation You propose:

The binding of B12 and intrinsic factor ( glycoprotein syntezised in the fundus of the stomach) is essential for not getting megaloblastic (big cells) anemia, or peripheral inflammation of nerves (polineuritis)....you would be blocking also, the absorption of essential fat soluble vitamins like A, D, E and K....lots of trubles will arise...lack of prothrombin and fibrinogen synthesis in the liver will follow, night blindness too bleeding easily with minor bruises, and lots of side effects.,

Poor growth of bones and demineralization, because of lack of the normal vitamin D......

Low sodium and serum potassium because the absorption of carbohydrates is linked one to the other.......(mainly potassium rendering hypokalemia)....

Your theory has been already tried, by many methods, and failed (for example, by resection of a good amount of small gut, (mainly distal one or ileum), and by inhibition of the lipases secreted by the pancreas (Xenical capsules),,,obtaining only malnutrition, fatty feces, bloating, nausea, and diarrhoea.....with loss of electrolytes..

Inhibition of the absorption of sugar???...how??

Glucose has been partially blocked already by methphormine in diabetics, and the blockage, is only partial,....there is no way nor its desirable to block it entilrely (remember glucose 6 phosphate is the main source of energy for the structures of the small intestine, they can not wait until the liver provides them, with the normal phosphorilated glucose form, thay take it directly from the small gut, where they have been depolimeryzed by pancreatic amylases).....

Blocking the enzymatic actions of amylases or lactases???

It can be done,,,,to a price....tremendous diarrhoeá will ensue, and loss of sodium and potassium from the mucus of the colon....we would be in trouble´´´´and depolymerization of starches and flour etc, will result in glucose formation anyway, even before they are absorbed, anyway, from the small gut /ileum and jejunum ) lumen......

Your theory sounds very promising, (in writing), however you will forgive me, to tag it as naive...

digestion is a too complicated process that can not be easily modified,....nor supressed altogether...

Your idea is certaily, very, very old...and impossible to be put into real, serious practice..no matter how well intentioned it may be, its not physiologically possible.....nor desirable...

Sorry...I dont think that will work---

Source(s): Certified surgeon (Germany)

They alread have products that block the absorption of fats in the small intestine, and what do you get? Voila! "Anal leakage!" What fun.

I know what you mean, though. I have to practically starve myself (not by choice!) to maintain my healthy weight, even with exercise. I think middle-age is a factor in my case though ... I used to be able to eat all I wanted. But if I want some ice cream or pizza, I have it ... just not more than twice a month! No sense in depriving oneself from ALL the pleasures of eating. The secret's all in portion control.

Well, the new over the counter medication Alli does actually block lipid absorption. But blocking glucose transporters can be dangerous for several reasons. An important one I can think of is that glucose is co-transported with sodium, and if you decrease sodium absorption, it could cause hyponatremia.

go 20 mph on your bike for 6 1 2 minutes

2 and 1 2 hours bowling

Get tips from weight loss community

fresh herbs can really zing up a healthy meal try growing some in the kitchen using a strawberry pot preserve the flavor by adding fresh herbs at the end of the cooking process

Good Luck! The only thing I know, and this probably doesn't help, but protein digestion starts in the stomach.

Think of me when you become a millionaire!

chug 12 8 ounce glasses of ice water a day it has the same effect on your metabolism as green tea

The mix of cardio and toning five times a week will keep metabolism humming