Triple Sec, Cointreau, Grand Marnier, Orange Curacao-how are they different? I am really confused as they are?

all orange flavored liquers and I wonder what makes them different/similar and can they be used successfully, interchangably in recipes and drinks or is a difference denoted? Any and all information about how they differ or are similar is appreciated.

Update:

Great response HeldmyW, but I can't reach you and wanted to ask which would be best poured over vanilla ice cream for a gourmet desert? Can one get away with using triple sec or would there be a distinct flavor difference in using either cointreau or grand marnier?

If anyone knows, please respond.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Heidi is close but a little off...

all the mentioned liqueurs are "Triple Secs" a general term meaning "triple distilled" which are all derived from dried orange peels from various locations around the world... G.Marnier, Gran Gala, Cointreau, and all the "Curacaos"(Orange, red, blue, white)... white Curacao is what is labeled as "Triple Sec") are all "Triple Secs"... the difference between the colors is artificial color... same taste

The differences(w/alcohol %)...

Curacao(23%)(orange, red, blue, white)... originally from Larahas oranges on the island of Curacao but now using synthetically similar oranges from around the world

Cointreau(40%)... made in Angers, France from Haitian or Spanish oranges

G.Marnier(40%)... Citrus Bigaradia oranges from various locations + real cognac

Gran Gala(40%)... oranges from Sicily + Stock brand brandy

Gran Gala and Grand Marnier will be fairly similar in taste because of the addition of brandy or cognac... more of a very smooth and light whiskey taste with the oranges for lack of a better description... more "warming" to your insides

Curacao's/Cointreau... will be similar... straight orange flavor with the Cointeau a little stronger because of the add'l alcohol

• Amy
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

When Curacao (Curacao being a citrus liqueur fermented fro the peel of Laraha fruit which is the result of Spanish settlers trying to transplant Valencia oranges to the small island in the South Caribbean) was becoming popular in the mid 19th century, Edouard Cointreau who was the son of "Cointreau Freres" distillery in Angers France decided he wasn't fond of the overly sweet flavour. He decided to use his father's distillery which formerly produced a very popular cherry liqueur called "guignolet," to perfect and produce a superior orange liqueur. The name Triple Sec was first coined by Edouard Cointreau to describe his creation being triple the essential oils of orange peels and sec and in dry to explain the lower sugar content. As many other companies tried to reproduce these Triple Secs, they eventually removed the "triple sec" from the Cointreau label all together as not to be associated with the inferior copy cats. Cointreau and the modern day Triple Sec from Ontario Canada are not the same thing…as is Grand Marnier a completely different thing as well being an orange flavoured Cognac (fermented from grapes and made in Cognac France)

• 1 decade ago

All are orange flavored. That's one thing.

Triple sec is an orange flavored alcohol that may be of low proof and is usually used as a flavoring in drinks. Inexpensive for a reason, it is not usually drunk by itself.

Grand Marnier and Cointreau are Liqueurs. Refined spirits of high proof that can be savored and drunk 'neat', as you would a good cognac.

For drinking neat, the Grand Marnier Cordon Rouge wins hands down: it's silkier, and has more body, and the cognac base gives it a more complex flavor.

These same factors, however, make Cointreau the better mixer. Cointreau has a bitter orange bite that is missing from its wealthier, more attractive cousin. It's harsher, but that makes it stand up better to being in a mixed drink. I've been at various bars that offer a top-shelf margarita by using Grand Marnier, but this seems to me to be a bad deal for both the mixed drink and the liqueur.

Cointreau bills itself as "the original triple sec," but most of the products you can buy that call themselves "triple sec" are undrinkable and unmixable (yes, Jacquins, I'm looking at you — how does that company stay in business?).

Orange Curacao (or Curacao) is a sweet liqueur, distilled and flavored from the dried peel of bitter oranges. It can also contain distillates of lemons and curacao fruit, sugar and wine. The Caribbean island of Cura硯 is host to much of the fruit used in these liqueurs.

It can range from sublime to absolute rubbish with prices to match.

Did I help? Or just confuse?

Try them for yourself! You'll get the hang of Orange booze!

Best wishes!

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Triple Sec, Cointreau, Grand Marnier, Orange Curacao-how are they different? I am really confused as they are?

all orange flavored liquers and I wonder what makes them different/similar and can they be used successfully, interchangably in recipes and drinks or is a difference denoted? Any and all information about how they differ or are similar is appreciated.

Source(s): triple sec cointreau grand marnier orange curacao confused are: https://shortly.im/EBRRp
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • bindu
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Gran Gala Vs Grand Marnier

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.