Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureMythology & Folklore · 1 decade ago

Why aren't unicorns called uniHORNS?

I mean uni means one, and corn is like a vegetable. And it would make way more sense if it was called unihorn, since it has one horn.

Hahaha

what do you think? :D

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Good Question! Mythological "Unicorns" are sweet, and peaceful, so I think that's why they are not called with a horn(evil)

Source(s): self thought
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

There is an item called a Cornucopia, it is a horn like object with a twisted shell. A Horn is not twisted ergo a uniHORN would not have a single twisted horn and a uniCorn(ucopia) does.

Good question! See picture at link below!

Blessed be

• 1 decade ago

Medieval Europeans once thought the "Narwhal" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narwhal an aquatic mammal with huge spiral tusk were the horns of Unicorns. Being the horns were spiral like a "CORNucopia"http://www.flickr.com/photos/knett/63440876/ they were named Unicorn.

• Diana
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

For the same reason a 'cornet' isn't called a 'hornet': It comes from the Latin, 'cornus,' which means 'horn.' (So why aren't musical 'horns' called 'corns'? That's what I want to know!)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • MARY B
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Actually it derives from the Greek word ‘monokeros’ where mono means only one and keros from the word keras which means horn.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because that is the mytholocical name for Rhinos

• 1 decade ago

It's in latin--corn means horn.

• angel
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

this gave me a good laugh......thanks!!

they are right........ uni means one in Latin.....corn means horn in Latin.......ergo unicorn - one horn.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They aren't real so how about we call them total bull sh*t. Thats probably the best name we could use.

• 1 decade ago

Why aren't they called "hornicorns"???

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.