Should I have knee joint replacement at 70 or physical therapy?

My doctor won't do the surgery until I am 70 which is a long time in the future unless I have tremendous pain.

Favorite Answer

Most definitely PT first. And I would only do the surgery after trying PT for 2-3 months if walking was really difficult and painful. I have seen several cases of patients your age and older going in for joint replacement surgery and never making it out of the hospital b/c of contracting pheumonia, or a DVT, etc. That does not mean it will happen to you but understand than any surgery is a serious thing and should only be considered if you are having real difficulty with daily necessary activities. The rehab is long and much harder than PT is wthout a surgery. Granted there are many more cases where patients do quite well after surgery.

Source(s): physical therapist

Definitely try physical therapy first. If after two months you don't see a change then make the decision for the knee joint replacement.

Source(s): Retired doctor of Naturopathic medicine

Why is seventy so important to your doctor, is this when he graduates?

If you have that much pain in your knee, and have had MRI's that show you need surgery then you need surgery and seventy hasn't anything to do with it, See a orthopedic surgeon, he'll tell you whats wrong and what to do. Asking this on here isn't good, follow your good sense and see a different doctor.

Source(s): retired MedLab technologist supervisor