Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 decade ago

the lining in a case will make you're gun rust??

somebody from here told me that,i wasnt sure if it was only if you leave it ****** in the case.

Favorite Answer

Yes, it can. But it doesn't have to.

Most linings in rifle cases are made of foam rubber or some kind of foamed plastic. There are two kinds of foam, open cell and closed cell. Open cell foam is like a kitchen sponge, with water getting into the foam being free to roam throughout the sponge. It is used as rifle case linings because it is flexible.

It doesn't have to be, though. The commercial product called "Great Stuff" sold at Home Depot for sealing around household electrical receptacles is both rigid and open cell, once you cut through the "skin".

Closed cell foam is like a host of tiny ping pong balls, with only the cut ones at the surface being susceptable to water retention. It is usually rigid.

When manufacturers put foam into the cavities on boats for flotation, they should always use closed cell foam. Some don't, particularly under the floorboards. When the floorboard gets holed (and they all sooner or later do), the open cell foam in the area between the floorboard and the bottom of the boat will fill with water, just like a sponge. Those boats waddle through the water.

But I digress.

All rifle cases get water in them. It may be that they're open when a few drops of rain wet them, or it may just be the moisture from a humid day. If the case is taken duck hunting, they get a LOT of water in them. But, those cases taken duck hunting ARE actually gun cases.

Thje definition of a gun is, "Any weapon which is fired from a mount". That's why a Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR) is a rifle, not a gun. It is fired from a bipod, not a mount. The original shot guns (blunderbusses, etc.) were made to be fired from a horse (mount), with the butt of the gun against the rider's thigh. They are guns.

Some people call all shoulder fired weapons "guns", but now that you know the difference, I'll bet you never again do so.

The average rifle case is made to protect the gun from physical damage, not moisture. Why? Because nothing can protect from moisture except YOU. The case should be thoroughly dried before putting the gun away for any long period of time. The gun itself should always be well oiled. I use 30 weight engine oil or even cooking oil after the gun oil. The gun oil evaporates sooner and is made more for cleaning (dissolving) the powder residue in the barrel. The 30 weight/Mazola is for rust. When I go to use the rifle again, I simply put a patch through the barrel and recalibrate the sights before use.

As you can see, the lining doesn't make the rifle rust, the moisture does. That, and you not drying the case before putting a rifle into it.

Whether the rifle is ****** or not should have no bearing on whether it rusts or not. Just keep it oiled, and if it will be put up for any length of time, use an oil or grease (the Military uses cosmoline) more substantial than that misnamed liquid, gun oil.

Happy shooting!

Source(s): Personal experience.
  • JD

I was the one that answered your question about you storing your Nagant ******. The gun case issue was brought up to insure that you cleaned your gun properly to remove moisture. The two issues are unrelated other than this. The Russian Nagant ammunition that was produced during the war and a lot of the imported surplus ammo you can buy today have/has corrosive primers. This chemical salt residue draws in moisture . If not cleaned properly and stored in a foam lined case the moisture becomes trapped and the bore/gun will rust. Sorry for the confusion..

Source(s): Gunsmith/Gunshop Owner/Collector 29 years experience

******? lol No. You will get rust if you have not cleaned it properly. Make sure ALL the moisture is gone. Make sure the interior of the case is dry. Keep your fingers off the metal. In fact put on a pair of gloves before you put the gun away. Then put the gun in the case.

Yup! Keep the bore clean, dry, and oiled; and that AK will, probably, outlive you. You do realize that a chrome-lined barrel isn't as inherently accurate as steel; and this is, 'Why' many match-grade, 'military rifles' are NOT chrome-lined, ahh, don't you? What are you looking at, Yugos? If so, Yugo barrels are made of high quality ordinance steel. The lack of chrome-lining really shouldn't be a problem.

If the gun is cleaned properly, and the case is from the manufacturer, I couldnt imagine it being the cause of rust. Otherwise I would think the manufacture would change the lining. But this is me looking at it with business logic, I may have missed something.

Cases can cause rust, they hold in moisture. Gun socks are prefered.

i really don't know about that but maybe if your buy a cheepo brand make sure it is a good one and don't let it sit in it for a long time buy a gun case is will let it breath and the person that told you that must not clean their gun that much i clean mine every time i go hunting.

I think you have a good answer I will only add that you should never leave guns in leather holsters. Also Break free clp seems to really protect guns.