smoca asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

how can i train my stubborn pit bull listen?

he is 9 months acts like a little kid very friendly unlike any other pit bull needs attention all the time

• Chetco
    Favorite Answer

This is a great, easy and fun training method for a bouncing bundle of joy: http://www.clickerlessons.com/

Everything you need to know is on that site.

My three year old granddaughter can do it.

Source(s): dog breeder since 1968

Well, you could take him to a training class at Petco or something like that. If you don't wanna spend money just take him for a walk everyday, pet him, feed him and give him water. As he gets older he won't need as much attention and will become more independent. Make sure to spend time with him or else he might turn into an unfriendly pit-bull that bites all the time. The reason other pit-bulls are mean is because they don't get as much attention as they should!

I hope this helps!

• Kel

He's still a baby! My pit is about 6 years old now and she's still very friendly and demanding of attention. They are just sociable dogs. She's never met a stranger & loves everybody. My cousins Jack Russell is more aggressive than my pit! She's a big baby. They are intelligent wonderful pets. But they are stubborn and need obedience training. Pits must have dicipline, because they are so big and so strong they can sometimes hurt or be hurt just from playing. Take care of him, don't let him fall into the wrong hands.

• Kelly

Puppy training is needed as soon as possible. You have to be consistent with every command every time and reward, praise, and treat every time she does something right. Asking nicely is not going to work for any dog but neither is ripping her head off...even though we've all been there. Patience is key. If you feel frustrated walk away. If you tell her sit and she sits throw a mini praise party and treat. If you tell her sit and she ignores you, don't say it again. Walk away, show no attention and try again in 5 minutes. Also look up "Nothing in life is free". It's a good place to start while looking for training classes. Luckily she's only 8 months and is more then ready to absorb everything you are consistent enough to teach her.

At 9 months, he is still a baby. All pit bulls act friendly to their families.

Pit Bulls are fun dogs they do need alot of attention and love to play. I recommend taking him on long walks, 45 mi to 1hr everyday, also if you live near a beach, lake, pits love the water. they will fish, through a rock in the water and they will go down and find it and bring it up. Also I believe in cage training. I had a great dog,pit, that would behave like and angel because when she was young we had restrictions for her. Watch the dog whisperer, I have learned some techniques from him that have helped my dogs I now have. The truth is all pits are great dogs, it is usually bad owners that teach them bad things.

Well at 9mos. old he is a little kid. What are you expecting from him? Sounds like you have a wonderful dog that loves spending time with you. Use positive training methods and he'll learn but you must take the time to educate him.

Many Pitt Bulls are demented do to the way they have been breed for years. BYBers, puppy mills, pet shops, newpaper ads, posted signs. These people just have a couple of dogs & throw them together not taking into consideration the genetics. Many a breed have been screwed up like this.

Although I hate this method of training you could use tidbits as positive reinforcement. I prefer a dog to do things because he is trying to please me than to only seek the goodie reward. I use praise lavishly as reward. It works for me.

thats true, i used to breed them,thats 1 of the smartest breeds out there.its not the dog its the owner.i would start traing my dog around a dog thats all ready been trained and your dog will pick up fast.it might be the bulldog breed because now i breed english bulldogs and they act the same way with attention.

you should buy a pron collar. put it on him and make him follow you in your house and outside that should make him see who is the leader. my pit who is ten months gets very excited and acts like she is a little kid too my nephew would come over and she'd get really jealous but you have to just ignore them when they are acting that way. stare at a cieling or wall and dont pay attention to him when he is acting like that

Source(s): me

I have had a few, you have to do it over & over. That is the terrier part of the dog. You have to stick to it & not let him slide, not even once. At 9 mos he still is a kid!! Just be firm, but loving!!!