Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOther - Sports · 1 decade ago

Why is it is that in the US Soccer (MLS) is not important or as liked as some of the other pro sports?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Because Soccer SUCKS!!!

Just kidding! Not Really!

Nothing personal but soccer is an international sport.

Great drama during the World Cup but that interest just does not carry over.

American Football and Baseball are too entrenched to be surpassed by soccer.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

There's a lot of reasons why soccer isn't as popular. I'm sorry I can't pinpoint one reason...

1) Older Americans are uneducated about soccer. We think it's unnatural to not use hands in a sport. Why do we allow ties? And what's exciting about a 0-0 match? We figure more scoring is always better.

Look at the NBA, NFL, MLB and NHL. All their recent rule changes have encouraged scoring more. Soccer requires a different mindset that's unaccustomed to Americans.

2) Media coverage is poor. ESPN hardly shows highlights. Advertisers like other sports because of the commercial breaks.

3) Americans want the best players and leagues. MLS is a second tier league in world soccer. It's tougher to sell a product when there's a better one in Europe.

Why did NFL Europe fail? The league was sending reserves to Europe to play. Just because girdiron football is exciting, it doesn't mean anything if Europeans see that the main NFL is a much better league.

4) The US national team has been up and down. That doesn't really excite Americans when the team is a mid-tier national team.

I think everyone should give MLS time to develop more. They are still a very new league. Beckham will increase publicity, but each team needs to develop and energize its fan base. As MLS grows older, you will see more fans get connected to their hometown teams. Unfortunately, MLS made some missteps in folding teams (Tampa Bay and Miami) and letting teams relocated (San Jose to Houston). Hopefully the league will show more patience and loyalty to local fans.

• 1 decade ago

Well 1st of all, it could b a American thing. While the rest of almost all the world embraces what they call football, our version of football, 2 me @ least, displays a bigger variety of strategys (not 2 mention all these 275 lb behemoths smashin' n2 each other. Also, we have a variety of sports as well. 2), soccer is a weak spect8r sport here in the States. Granted, most Americans, especially children, wood prefer 2 play the sport. & I think adults could wish 2 play it 2 although probably not on a professional level.

• 1 decade ago

maybe it is simply less exciting......because i could harldy believe that the fact it is the least televised sporting event of all the pro sports would have any effect.....

Basket ball, baseball, and football all have a huge telvision coverage profile, Hockey to a lesser extent, is it no wonder that the first three are much more popular than the latter.... Foot ball, Base Ball, and Basket Ball will always be thought of as an American sport, and Hockey as well, while soccor has always been a reccess sport in America it has never been considered an American sport....

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

soccer is huge in countries all around the world. i dont think the US is nearly as good as other (mayeb im wrong- i have no idea)

but other sports, like baseball and football are mostly played in the US which makes the US the best in that sport, and its already more of a tradition to play here rather than play a sport from some other country

• 1 decade ago

Soccer isn't the sport people grow up playing. We play baseball, football, and basketball. Its pretty much just a cultural thing. Everyone knows that the football, baseball, basketball guys get all the chicks so why would you play soccer.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Hispanics are the base of MLS but wait a few years MLS has a good future especially with Beckham (and his wife) coming over here.

• Moss B
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I'm not sure. It could be that most Americans aren't quite into low scoring games (i.e. Hockey), but who knows for sure..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.