Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 1 decade ago

What happens when you drink while taking Paxil?

I'm just wondering why you can't drink while on paxil.... what will happen? Is there a anti-depressant out there that you can drink on?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

OMG. This is so strange...I was just having this type of conversation with my neighbor who happens to be a pharmacist.

Basically (I don't take Paxil but I do take Zoloft), all that's going to happen is that when you drink 2 drinks it might feel like 3 or 4 (This includes Vicodin and other pain killers as well). They put the warning on the medications not to drink because some people are dumb enough to take their meds and drive

Now, if you take more than you're suppose to and drink...then yeah, that's an issue. But not overdoing it is the way to go.

Source(s): My conversation with my next door neighbor. lol
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Paxil And Alcohol

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What happens when you drink while taking Paxil?

I'm just wondering why you can't drink while on paxil.... what will happen? Is there a anti-depressant out there that you can drink on?

Source(s): drink paxil: https://tr.im/9i0Hx
  • 1 decade ago

I take Paxil and have for years. I drink while on this, even though it is adviced not too.

The side effects that I have experienced are increased drowsiness. I get very sleepy while drinking.

That's about it.

Most antidepressants advice no alcohol with use.

Goodluck

Source(s): Pharm tech
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Warning:

Concurrent use of ETHANOL and PAROXETINE may result in an increased risk of impairment of mental and motor skills.

Clinical Management:

Patients receiving paroxetine should be advised to avoid the use of alcohol.

Onset:

Rapid

Severity:

Minor

Documentation:

Fair

Probable Mechanism:

additive central nervous system effects

Summary:

Paroxetine did not potentiate cognitive or psychomotor effects associated with ethanol consumption (Caley & Weber, 1993). However, the manufacturer of paroxetine recommends that patients be advised to avoid alcohol while using paroxetine (Prod Info Paxil CR(TM), 2003).

Source(s): micromedex
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I am taking Paxil, and asked my doc about it. I told her that I drink on average a couple of drinks a week. She told me it is not a problem, but I should not drink every day. I've had no problems with my couple of drinks a week.

• Nadia
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

drink paxil

• 1 decade ago

The previous entry above is correct. Taking alcohol with an SSRI can increase the drowsiness, nausea, etc.

However, a more common sense approach to looking at this is this: Since Alcohol is a depressant (although the concentration of alcohol depends on it's effects), aren't you defeating the purpose of taking an anti-depressant?

• masako
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Paroxetine And Alcohol

• gertie
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I'm interested in finding out more about this too

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.