Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

Why is going pee refered to as #1 and poo #2 ?

Hey, maybe this seems like a silly question but I'm serious. Like ever since I was little my mom used the terms going number one and number two for going pee and poo.

where did this originate from? cuz I know lot sof other people who call it that too.

It make sno sense to me how you can derive a number from a bodily function.

Thanks in advance.

Favorite Answer

I started 1st grade in the mid-60's and I remember us having to hold one finger up to tell the teacher if you needed to pee and 2 fingers if you needed to poop. I have no idea why the teachers needed to know this but it was definitely done.

People Going Pee

• gldjns

Do you know what a euphemism is? That's a nicer, more polite way of saying something that could be offensive to some people. I don't know how the numbers originated, but they are very commonly used to describe these basic bodily functions. Parents really don't want their kids to shout out in public that they have to pee or poo, so it just sounds more courteous to say No. 1 and No. 2.

I'm thinking it's just some generic numbers someone came up with. It could have easily have been.

Number 8 for pee and number 10 for poo..

Just a non-specific way for children to say what their doing in the bathroom I guess. And it just carried on into adults' vocabulary.

hmm, good question. I know in stories (I don't know if this is real) but teachers make kids hold up one finger if they need to leave the classroom to pee, and two for poo, since they'll be out longer. I imagine this would be a bit embarrasing.

• Mike

Because...

well iam not sure how to word this to pee is the 1st place you ould find and number 2 is in the back . I hope this makes sence

I've never been told, but I'm guessing because when you go pee you just go pee (1 thing), but when you go pooh you pooh and pee (2 things).

It works for me.

haha this might seem gross but maybe because your "pee hole" is in the front refering to "hole number 1". and same for your"poo hole" whhich is in the back and refers to number 2?

maybe

i dont know

just wondering too

well if youve ever pissed and shat your [pants at the same time -like i do occasionaly,the pee they will come out in that order