Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Steph
Lv 4
Steph asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Can someone give me a general synopsis of Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince?

I read it, and i know dumbledore dies, but i forgot other parts.

i need a summary of the book, thanks. =]

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Voldemort and his Death Eaters openly wreak chaos throughout Britain. Following public outcry over Cornelius Fudge's mishandling of the Voldemort situation, he is forced to resign, and is succeeded by Rufus Scrimgeour as the new Minister for Magic. As a result, Arthur Weasley receives a promotion.

At his home in Spinner's End, Severus Snape receives a visit from Draco Malfoy's mother Narcissa and her sister, Bellatrix Lestrange. Narcissa swears Snape to an Unbreakable Vow, ensuring he will protect Draco and, should her son fail, complete his mission for the Dark Lord.

Albus Dumbledore arrives at the Dursleys and asks Harry Potter to accompany him to see retired professor Horace Slughorn. With unwitting help from Harry, Dumbledore persuades Slughorn to resume his old teaching position at Hogwarts. Harry then spends the remaining summer months at The Burrow with the Weasleys and Hermione, who is also visiting. To his family's dismay, Bill Weasley has become engaged to Fleur Delacour, the Beauxbatons champion in the Triwizard Tournament. Harry, Ron, and Hermione receive their O.W.L. results. Hermione receives high marks in all her subjects, but Ron and Harry fail Divination and History of Magic. They are also unable to take N.E.W.T.-level Potions because Snape only accepts "O" (Outstanding) grades. The course is a requirement to becoming an Auror.

As school begins, Snape is surprisingly announced as the new Defence Against the Dark Arts instructor while Slughorn takes his place as the Potions teacher. Since Slughorn only requires a minimum "E" grade (Exceeds Expectations) at O.W.L. to take his N.E.W.T.-level Potion classes, Harry and Ron are now able to sign up. Slughorn lends Harry and Ron old Potions textbooks. Harry's copy is marked as the property of "The Half-Blood Prince." The talented former owner's handwritten notes help Harry excel in the class. As a reward, Slughorn gives him a small vial of Felix Felicis, a good luck potion.

As the school year progresses there are more and more reports of Death Eater attacks until, on the frosty first Hogsmeade visit of the year, Katie Bell, a long-time member of the Gryffindor Quiddich team, was put under the Imperius Curse by someone and then badly injured by a cursed necklace she was forced to carry. Harry suspects Malfoy's or other Death Eater involvement.

Just when Ron and Hermione seem on the verge of a relationship, Ron begins dating Lavender Brown — although it is mostly to spite Hermione, who, Ron learned, had kissed Viktor Krum. A jealous Hermione flirts with the egotistical Cormac McLaggen to retaliate against Ron, but this backfires and only makes things worse. Ron and Hermione's continual bickering causes Harry to fear they will never reconcile. But when Ron is accidentally poisoned, Hermione is so distraught that she and Ron end their feud, and Ron soon breaks up with Lavender.

Dumbledore begins giving Harry private lessons using his Pensieve to view collected memories about Voldemort's past. A memory belonging to Slughorn is partially missing. Aided by the Felix Felicis potion, Harry retrieves the missing portion from him. Dumbledore speculates that Voldemort split his soul into seven parts, storing six pieces in Horcruxes to grant himself immortality, while leaving the seventh in his body. Two Horcruxes have been destroyed (Tom Riddle's diary by Harry and Marvolo Gaunt's ring by Dumbledore).

When Harry discovers Malfoy sobbing in Moaning Myrtle's bathroom, they begin hurling curses at each other. Harry casts Sectumsempra, causing blood to gush from Malfoy's body. Snape arrives and tends to Malfoy. Recoginising the spell, he orders Harry to hand over his Potions book. Harry instead gives him Ron's copy. Snape assigns Harry detention for the same day as the Quidditch finals. After detention, Harry learns that Gryffindor won the finals, with Ginny Weasley as their substitute Seeker. During the victory celebration, Harry's suppressed feelings for Ginny are revealed when he spontaneously kisses her. They soon begin a relationship.

Just before Harry and Dumbledore leave to find another Horcrux (Salazar Slytherin's locket), Harry gives the remaining Felix Felicis to Ron, Hermione and Ginny. He has suspected all year that Malfoy may be a Death Eater and confided his suspicions to Dumbledore, who seemed unconcerned. He learns later that Dumbledore had Snape investigate. Harry believes Malfoy is now involved in something sinister and asks Ron, Hermione, and Ginny to patrol the halls. Harry then disapparates with Dumbledore to a secret cave. Upon retrieving the Horcrux, Dumbledore is seriously weakened by a potion he drank to uncover the locket inside a basin.

Returning to the castle, they discover Lord Voldemort's Dark Mark hovering over Hogwarts. They borrow broomsticks from Madam Rosmerta, whom they later discover is under the Imperius Curse. They fly to the Astronomy Tower, where they are ambushed by Draco Malfoy. Dumbledore paralyzes Harry, who is under his Invisibility Cloak, just before Draco disarms him. Draco reveals that he helped the Death Eaters enter Hogwarts, although Dumbledore discerns that the obviously frightened boy was coerced into aiding Voldemort's followers.

Death Eaters appear and urge Draco to fulfill his mission—killing Dumbledore—but Draco is reluctant. Snape arrives; Dumbledore uncharacteristically pleads with Snape. Hesitating, Snape kills Dumbledore with the Avada Kedavra killing curse. The spell's force hurls Dumbledore's body over the tower wall. Upon Dumbledore's death, Harry is freed from the paralysing spell. The Death Eaters flee, and Harry pursues Snape, who identifies himself as the Half-Blood Prince in a short-lived duel before escaping with Malfoy.

Harry recovers the locket from Dumbledore's body only to discover it is a fake. Inside is a note from someone with the initials "R.A.B." who has stolen the real Horcrux and has vowed that it will be destroyed with the hope that when Voldemort meets his match he "will be mortal once more."

The school year ends abruptly with Dumbledore's funeral. Professor McGonagall is appointed Hogwarts' interim headmistress, although the school may remain closed. Regardless, Harry decides to leave Hogwarts to search for the remaining Horcruxes. Ron and Hermione vow to accompany him, while Harry ends his relationship with Ginny to protect her from Voldemort. The book concludes as Harry looks forward to Bill and Fleur's wedding and being comforted that "...there was still one last golden day left to enjoy with Ron and Hermione."

• 5 years ago

The trailer is particularly powerful, I recognise! It is the exceptional Harry Potter trailer I have ever obvious, if no longer the exceptional trailer. It makes me so excited, but extra dissatisfied the film used to be moved. (To consider, it might have pop out so quickly!) The Ron Weasley/Lavendar Brown kiss gave me the affect it would not be a tacky as I proposal, the final scene in which Hermione Granger hits Harry Potter permit me recognise there will be a few humour, I bought to peer that Draco Malfoy has a fair eviler aspect we will be able to see, and so a lot more! As for this "this 12 months" aspect, I have no idea. Many individuals are thinking about approximately that. I am simply hoping it wasn't a mistake!

• 1 decade ago

Harry learns about the prophecy and about how the prophecy could be either about him or Neville (I think, if not, it's from HP5). Harry gets through the Dark Arts by using the half blood prince's book. Snape gives Harry oculmecy (or whatever it called) lessons. Malfoy is given the task to kill Dumbledore but he's too scared so Snape does it for him.

• 1 decade ago

Well, the public gets mad at how horribly Fudge handled Voldemort (not believing Harry, etc.) so he resigns and Scrimgeour is the new minister. At Spinner's End Snape is visited by Bellatrix and Narcissa, where he makes an Unbreakable Vow to protect Draco, as Draco has become a death eater. Dumbledore heads down to the Dursley's and takes Harry to accompany him on a visit to Slughorn's house. They convince Slughorn to return to Hogwarts as the new Potions Master as Snape is the new Defense against the Dark Arts teacher. Harry then heads over to the Burrow(Hermione is there too). Bill is engaged to Fleur (who Ginny calls Phlegm XD ) They get their OWL results : Hermione gets high marks in everything, Harry and Ron fail Divination and History of Magic and get an E in potions. Slughorn, unlike Snape, accepts E students in the NEWT potions classes. Harry and Ron didn't know Slughorn was the new Potions teacher though, they thought he was for Defense against the Dark Arts. As a result they didn't buy their textbooks as they didn't think they were taking the subject. Slughorn lends them two copies, Harry is marked "The Half Blood Prince". Harry follows all of the notes written on the side and succeeds in the class, so Slughorn gives him Felix Felicis (a good luck potion.) Katie Bell is put under the Imperius curse at a Hogsmeade weekend and is injured horribly by a necklace she was forced to wear. (I'm pretty sure it was an opal necklace, not that it matters. lol) My favorite part of the book, Ron finds out that Hermione "snogged" Viktor Krum, which is quite untrue. Well, to spite her, he starts dating Lavender which leaves Hermione crushed. She actually conjures up some canaries to chase him out of a classroom. XDXD Then Hermione starts dating McLaggen (who she really hates) but Ron gets posioned and utters Er-My-O-Nee in his sleep. Awww <3 Then Ron breaks up with Lav-Lav. Dumbledore gives private lessons to Harry with a pensieve. These are about exploring Voldemort's past. Harry uses some Felix Felicis and gets one of the memories from Slughorn, it's about Voldemort and Horcruxes. Harry finds Malfoy sobbing to Moaning Myrtle (about killing Dumbledore, but Harry doesn't know that) and he uses Sectumsempra on Draco. As a result, Snape forces Harry to hand over his potions book (as Snape made the spell and is the Half Blood Prince). Harry gives Snape Ron's instead (Roonil Wazlib? That's my nickname. XD) and gets detention during Quidditch. Ginny is substitute seeker and they win, so Harry kisses Ginny. oooooooh. Then they start dating! :) Before leaving to find a horcrux with Dumbledore Harry slips Felix Felicis to Ron, Hermione, and Ginny. He asks them to patrol the halls as he thinks Draco is up to something. Then Dumbledore and Harry head off to a cave where they find a fake Horcrux and fight Inferi. Harry had forcefed Dumbledore a hideous liquid that weakened him only to find a fake. Inside the locket is a note from R.A.B. talking about how it's a fake and how he is probably dead, etc. They then apparate back and find the Dark Mark over Hogwarts. They ask Madam Rosmerta for brooms, who they later discover is under the Imperius curse. They fly to the Astronomy Tower where Harry is stunned so he can't move and is under the invisibilty cloak. Dumbledore had stunned him. Draco rushes in and tries to kill Dumbledore but he can't so Snape does. This spells pushes Dumbledore off the Astronomy tower. Snape flees with Malfoy, telling Harry to "Close his mind" and that he is, indeed, the Half Blood Prince. Then the Death Eaters run off and Harry finds the RAB note in the locket. (I got ahead of myself up there) Then Dumbledore has his funeral (with a cute R/Hr moment) and McGonagall becomes Headmistress briefly. The school may remain closed. Harry then vows to not return regardless of whether or not it is open. He wants to find and destroy the Horcruxes. He then ends his relationship with Ginny to protect her and Ron and Hermione force Harry into letting them go with him to look for horcruxes. The end.

Sorry it's so long, there was alot to cover. :)

Source(s): I read the book, but I checked over the Wikipedia summary myself just a while ago so I just went back there and summarized it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_and_the_...
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Scroll down on this website and there is a synopsis on the book:

http://www.answers.com/topic/harry-potter-and-the-...

• In the sixth Harry Potter book, there's a lot that happens.

The book starts out in "our world" in England, where the new Prime Minister is in office now. He gets a visit from the Minister of Magic and they talk about cooperation between the Muggles and Wizards/Witches in times of dire need (i.e. when Voldemort was in power/now that he's regained his power).

Early on, we witness Snape talking with Malfoy's mother and another witch and how Narcissa wants Snape to watch over Draco in case something were to happen.

Then, we finally meet Harry. Harry is at the Dursley's when Professor Dumbledore shows up to get Harry. They Apparate to Slughorn's house, to find the area his house destroyed (intentionally, by Slughorn himself). Albus asks Slughorn to teach at Hogwarts, but doesn't disclose which class to Harry, leaving that a mystery.

It's now time to head off to school, and lots of things begin happening quickly. Harry and Ron quickly find a book by the "Half-Blood Prince" and begin using it in NEWT Potions (taught by Slughorn) to pass the class. Harry begins relying on this book, and he begins wondering who the Half-Blood Prince really is. So he begins searching.

Also, Harry has private lessons with Dumbledore, who takes Harry into the memories of Voldemort to get a grip on who he really was when he was growing up, and they begin to understand why he became who he was. They go into four or five different memories and learn who his family was and how he came into being.

Romance really buds in this book, as well. Ron and Hermione begin dating, and Ginny begins dating many different boys, as well. Ron finds his sister "macking" once and is embarrassed. Ginny soon rediscovers her interest in Harry. They begin dating.

Terror starts coming back to the school, as Draco's acting strangely, some people notice. Harry has found certain spells written and made up by this "Prince" and when Draco sneaks up to attack Harry in a lavatory, he uses the Sectumsempra curse on Draco and creates a giant slash on him, gushing blood laying on the floor, with Peeves yelling "Murder! Murder in the bathroom! MURDER!!" Snape comes in and punishes Harry for using such a curse, asking where he learned it. Harry lies to him, saying he found it in a random book.

Snape doesn't believe Harry, asking him for his book. Harry gets Ron's book and barely gets by.

Dumbledore shows Harry a memory that tells him Voldemort has always been cruel, almost killing a boy when he was very, very young.

Then, Dumbledore asks Harry to go on a little quest with him, asking that if anything was to happen, Harry would escape and let him handle it himself. They go to a cavern, the exact place where Voldemort almost killed the child when he was young. They go in to find what Dumbledore says is a Horcrux, or part of Voldy's soul.

They enter the cave and find the Horcrux after battling dead beings away from them, and after Dumbledore drank some sort of weird potion that almost killed him.

They apparate back to the school and Harry flies them back to the school, where chaos has broke out. Death Eaters have infiltrated the school, and on a tower, Dumbledore immobilizes Harry, throwing him under his Invisibility Cloak. Draco comes up to kill him for Voldemort. He doesn't have the guts, so Snape, keeping the bond he and Narcissa made, now HAS to kill Dumbledore. Dumbledore pleads, "Severus...please..."

And he kills him, knocking him from the tower. Harry, enraged, battles Snape out of the school, but Snape escapes.

The school gets word of this, and they have a funeral. Harry breaks up with Ginny, fearing Voldemort would come after her since they like each other so much.

Bill and Fleur annouce their wedding, and Harry is invited, and the book closes that he may have one last golden day before the final showdown with Voldemort.

Sorry, that's pretty generic.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.