I have an Acer aspire 3000 and every so often it will turn itself off.?

There doesn't seem to be any pattern to this, and it does it no matter what i'm doing or whether i'm on the internet or not, anybody help please.x

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Most laptops and computers have the ability to temporarily shut down when not in use for a while. This is due to energy saving settings and also "sleep" mode - a way of protecting the screen etc from damage due to overheating or long periods of being left on - much like TVs when set to switch off after a set time. This ability is also called "hibernate" mode on a computer.

You can change these settings and alter the delay time to switch off by right-clicking on your desktop, left-clicking "properties" and choosing "screensaver" and then "power". From there you can alter the delay times or switch off "hibernate" altogether. But this second option is not to be recommended!

Of course this may not be the problem at all. It could be an overheating problem in the power module of your laptop which is causing it to switch off to protect it from damage.

Hope that helps tracey. Let me know how you get on.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I've come across this with Acer and other laptops, and the answer is: Overheating.

Often, computers (not just laptops) have temperature sensors which check how hot certain parts are getting. Once a pre-set level is reached, the computer automatically shuts down to stop these parts from getting too hot. Usually the culprit is a fan which has sucked up dust/dirt or is blocked up when using the computer.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i also have an aspire,and recently mine has been doing the same thing. i took out the fans and gave them a good clean,its only a matter of undoing a couple of screws ,but make sure you take note which way they came off,so you can replace them properly. Ive done this,and its been o.k to a certain extent ,except in a morning when i turn it on,its on for about 15Min's,then crashes.i leave it for about 5Min's and then i could leave it on all day ,no probs. its not a virus I'm sure,Ive run ad-aware,spy-bot,a.v.g you name it and its come up clear. give it a damn good clean and see how you go. but if you're in the u.k i put a bit of it down to the weather as well,that has affected a lot of services.

• 1 decade ago

it may be set to go to sleep in about a hour or so. go to control panel power settings se if it is set to go to sleep if it is turn sleep off

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.