Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 decade ago

Should I buy car insurance or not?

I am a teenage driver of 16. Insurance is very high for a teenager. My parents have Allstate Car Insurance for four of their cars including a Toyota Corolla which im going to be driving. The Corolla is covered by AllState insurance. I have a California Driver's License and live in California. About 6 months ago, my mom asked the insurance company whether the insurance would cover the car if she lent the car to someone and the insurance company said that they would cover the car as soon as the person who borrowed the car has a VALID DRIVERS LICENSE. I have a valid drivers license but I am under 18 (I am 16). The insurance person did not say anything about age. My question is whether it is necessary or not to buy insurance for myself. It will be very expensive and I do not want to pay for it but I will If i have to. Do I have to get my own insurance for the car or not? If I dont buy insurance and I drive the corolla and get pulled over, am I okay or will I have problems?

Also if I got into an accident, will the insurance cover me?

Favorite Answer

Having worked for Allstate in CA, here's what will happen in your WHAT IF scenario:

You 'borrow' mom's car and have a crash. It'll be covered, but your agent and underwriting will be notified of your driving the vehicle and you will be added to the policy and the rate for insurance will be adjusted accordingly.

Also, what you're asking amounts to insurance fraud and if you are always 'borrowing' the car and have multiple wrecks...the entire policy can be rescinded for misrepresentation. You're basically asking if you can be insured for free, and the answer to that is NO. The permissive use portion of the policy isn't meant for resident relatives with a valid drivers license, regardless of age. It's meant for people who NEVER drive your car, like you're too drunk to drive and your friend drives you home. That is the spirit of the clause.

If you are driving those cars, you have to be added to the policy as a listed driver.

• Brande

I suggest you to visit this web page where you can get quotes from different companies: http://COVERAGEDEALS.NET/index.html?src=1YAwmbppPP...

RE :Should I buy car insurance or not?

Update: Also if I got into an accident, will the insurance cover me?

1 following 12 answers

If you get pulled over as long as there is insurance on the car and you have a valid driver's license then you are okay legally. However, if you get in an accident your parent's insurance company can refuse to pay for the accident because you live with your parents. Your parents are required to list all licensed drivers in the household on their insurance or exclude them (which means the excluded person wouldn't be covered.) So they would either have to list you as a driver or exclude you. Lending the car to you, their son that lives with them, is not the same as lending the car to someone such as a friend. Your parents should be able to add you as a driver to their insurance policy which would be cheaper than purchasing your own policy. If you drive your parents car without being listed as a driver your parents could end up being sued by the other driver if you cause an accident. Hope this helps.

If you live in the same household you have to be either included or excluded from the policy. If your neighbor borrows your parents car and wrecks it then if they have a valid license Allstate would cover it. If you drive the car wreck and are not listed on the policy then that is NOT covered. If you are going to be driving any vehicles your parents own you are required by the state of california to have insurance. The only time you are not required to have insurance is if you have no vehicle that is of easy access to you. Ex: You live alone and have no car, and no company car. There are ways to go around bringing your insurance down, for example Farmers has a YES program in which you watch a 30 min video and they can give you a significant discount as well as good student discounts and percentage use discounts.

Contact your insurance agent before you go to get the car. Legally, you must have insurance the moment the vehicle leaves the dealers lot. If you have a wreck on the way home, the finance company will look to you for the payments even if the car is totaled. If the car is damaged, you could be responsible for repairs, towing and storage fees. If you hit someone, you are personally responsible for damages and medical expenses if deemed at fault, and will be cited for driving without insurance. There are ways that the insurance companies can deal with a policy for a new vehicle, and you can stop off at the agents office to provide the VIN. Some companies require their agents to perform a damage inspection and visually check the VIN to be sure of what they are insuring. Shop around, call several companies for the best rate and be legal.

Here's the problem-your Mom's insurance will cover a NON-household member with a valid license. If you live with Mom you must be listed as a driver on her policy or they won't cover you and you could get busted for having no insurance if you have an accident. The premium will be much higher, but not quite as bad as if you had your own car and policy.

i say you should get the insurance you are an inexperienced driver and the worse thing is not only getting pulled over the trouble you will get in but what would happen if you by chance get in a car accident and your liability doesn't pay for the damage you will have to be paying it out of your own pocket which in the end will cost more then getting insurance also if you happen to seriously inquire someone in your car without having car insurance has dramatic consequences

OK, here's the catch. The policy is that if your mom lends someone the car, her insurance will cover as long as the person has a valid license AND DOES NOT LIVE IN THE SAME HOUSE. The agent probably didn't tell her that because it's not really considered borrowing if it's between family members. Yes, you definitely need to be specifically added to the policy.

If you are covered at your mom's insurance, you don't supplement insurance. As long as you keep a valid driver's license, you are going to be insured. Being 16 will only raise the rates, but it won't affect whether or not you're covered.

If your car ISN'T insured, then you need to get it.

Your mother MUST call the insurance company and list you as the principle driver of the car. If she doesn't, and you have an accident, you are not covered and the insurance will not pay. If you cause an accident that injures or kills people, you and your family could be ruined financially.