What is a good amount of calories to eat when trying to lose wait?

I am 310 lbs. (34 years old and have consent of a doctor) I have tried everything from atkins (lost and gained 60lbs). To just watching calories.

I always tried to diet, but never really exercised.

I am getting very serious now about losing this weight. I bought a home gym and am starting today. I am committed to changing my lifestyle.

I was really inspired over the last few years by the Biggest Loser show and have read the books.

They recommend that you you eat 7 times your weight in calories. 310 x 7 = 2170. This seems a little high too me.

When I used to try and diet unsuccessful, I would try restrict myself to 1200-1500, but maybe this is where I went wrong?

Favorite Answer

I strongly reccomend weight watchers to you. I lost 8.5lbs in my first week!

The Weight Watchers points plan is more of a healthy eating plan rather than a diet. I can still eat my chips if I want to. I can still drink my bottle of wine at the weekend. I still eat chocolate and crisps - how great is that! No food is a sin.

It's about training yourself to eat only what your body needs to provide enough energy and nutrition for the day.

Good luck!

Try taking in an extra 150 -200 calories a day, that should help you feel less light headed. Also, you may not be seeing any weight loss because you are gaining muscle as you exercise. Try taking measurements of your waist and hips etc. then in a month or two, take them again to see if there is a change. Eat a good amount of fruits and veggies, and protein as well. There is no fast way to lose weight, but if you stick to it, you'll see results. Wish you the best.

if you have 1200-1500 calories a day and don't feel Hungary all the time. then do it. if you do feel hungry, go for the 1500-2000 calorie diet. If your hungry, you have a better chance of giving in to temptation. since you are a pretty big buy, i would suggest 1500-2000. Make sure you work out at least 30 min a day.

Btw. the Biggest loser is a great show and inspired me to lose weight as well.

My opinion is that 2170 is high for a calorie count when trying to lose weight. Being 310 lbs you should maybe consume anywhere from 1500-1800 cals a day. It really matters where the calories are coming from. I recommend that most of these calories come from whole grains (good carbs) followed by vegetables and fruits. Visit http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Errika_Miller and read the articles about the different diets and healthy weight loss tips.

I work for a wellness center. We try to answer this question sometimes.

If you burn more calories than 2170...than you will lose wieght. Over time the wieght will drop.Just not fast. It will be gradual over a year.

Here is the real questions...

Will you maintain wieght loss over the long term if you eat to little?.... How long are you willing to eat 1200 calories for?

I get angry when people tell me I'm on a diet...or say I'm on a health kick because it implies I lack willpower.

Best advice I can give you is....

Eat before you get hungry. Eat smaller meals more often.

Source(s): USAF health and wellness ctr.

You were probably consuming to little calories before for your size. You probably actually got quite hungry. Try between 1800-2000. Good luck.

Source(s): -

1600 BUT you have to try ay least exercising! even weight watchers will help. i have been on weight watchers 5 months and have lost 89 pounds! weightwatchers.com will tell you more

Source(s): IM ON A DIET MYSELF =)

Cut out junk food.

why would you want to lose waiting? I wait for someone but I try to lose weight.

just make sure you burn more than you take in every day