How exactly do I add a 1GB memory card to my ACER T180 desktop. Also which is the right one to buy?

I just bought an ACER T180-UA350B desktop. I want to add a gig of RAM to make it run a little faster. How do I accomplish this and what should I buy?

Favorite Answer

Adding memory to a desktop is a great way to give it an extra boost. However, doing it incorrectly can screw up your PC. There are a few things you want to look at before you buy memory.

You can go to CDWG.com and use the memory configurator on the site to determine the correct memory stick for your desktop. In this case it looks like Kingston carries a 1gb chip that will fit nicely. The Kingston part number is D12864E40.

Your specific system has 4 memory sockets. It is always recommended that you install memory in pairs. For example, if you have 1gb of memory in your machine, it's likly that you are using two 512mb chips. If that's the case, and you want to add another 1gb of memory, you can just purchase two additional 512mb chips and install them. The maximum memory for this specific system is 4gb. That requires you install 1gb chips in each memory slot.

As for installing the actual memory - it's fairly simple. All you need to do is open the case of your desktop and insert the memory in to the memory slots on the motherboard. There are a billion websites on the net that will detail exactly how to do this - but your best bet is the manufacturers website. You should be able to download an owners manuel for your specific machine that will walk you step-by-step through the problem.

Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks!

If you just bought it you would have the specifications for it. Look at the memory specifications then do a Google search for the same thing which will lead you to a seller of memory sticks.

go to crucial.com and run their analyzer to get the right type/speed. then buy that.

installing it is easy - just snaps in