moving daughter onto a toddler bed?

ok our doctor suggested that we move our 15 month old daughter to a toddler bed instead of the crib. so this week end we are getting one. so my question is how do we move her from the crib to the bed? do we use blankets? first time with all this any help would be appreated thanks

because she is tring to climb out of her crib. would rather have a small fall rather than a fall from 4 foot up. and i agree

Favorite Answer

Hi,

We moved our daughter right from her crib to a regular sized twin bed. We let her help us pick it and she was there when my husband built it. She helped me make the bed too. Well sorta. We bought one of those guard rails and placed some soft blankets on the floor beside the bed - in case of a roll out. As simply as we could we explained to her that she did not need her old crib anymore and now she would sleep in a very special big girl bed. We Kept all the rest of her routine the same and made sure to move her fave stuffed animal and cuddle blanket. My daughter was two though. If your daughter is a climber, it is best to move her before she attempt the great escape from the crib and possibly breaks something.

Good luck!

Ps. A 3 year old should NOT be in a crib. They can crack and break bones if they try to cimb out!! 15 months does seem young, but 2 to 2.5 max and then they should be in a bed for safety.

I don't know why the doctor would recommend this...unless she didn't want her getting attached to the crib which still makes no sense to me...but I'll still try to help! Like the first answer, be sure there's something there to soften her fall if she does roll off the bed. They make toddler beds that can turn into a "kid" bed when they grow up, they have the rails on the side and the most recent one I've seen gives A LOT of coverage so they won't roll off. But if you want to be safe, get a small pillow for her to sleep on, and move the pillow past the opening of the railing (that way she's completely surrounded). Give her blankets and her toys, she'll be fine. Of course, she will very quickly learn that she can get in and out and this bed! Just let her know that it's not for play time, it's bed time! And don't keep putting her back in bed...she'll think it's a game. She'll get used to it pretty quickly. Just be very positive about it..."Look! It's your new bed for night time!" That way she'll be excited to go to bed in it, not scared because it's something new.

When I would babysit this one little girl after daycare, she had just moved to a toddler bed, her mom had a regular pillow in her bed, the same blanket that was in her crib, and toys. She should be fine. (She was about 19/20 months when I saw they got a new bed for her).

Good luck! Hope this helps!

When they start trying to climb out of the crib. Usually around the age of 18-20 months is when most kids switch over. All kids are different though. Some don't use a toddler bed until they are 2 or even 2 1/2.

I have twin boys and at 16 months I moved one into a toddler bed, while the other is still in his crib at 22 months. Not sure why your Doctor advised this in your case but I decided to do it with one of my twins because he HATED his crib and wouldn't go to sleep in it. He's also been walking since 10 months so knows how to get about. So, I put a little stepping stool at one end and a bed rail so he can get in and out but not fall out. I also put spare pillows on the floor beneath bed for the first few weeks, just in case. He never fell out though. Until they are asleep, I keep a removable gate up over their doorway to keep him in if he gets out of bed. Works great. As for the other...I don't trust him yet to be in a toddler bed so he'll stay in his crib until he is more mobile (only been walking on own for a short time). One of the bedtime stories that I read is "My Big Boy Bed" and they both love it. I guess I just talked up the "big bed" so much that he wanted to use it to show he was being a big boy. He climbs in his bed and pulls the blanket up over him and snuggles in great. I got them toddler bedding from IKEA which has been brilliant for winter time. They do great toddler pillows and duvets. For summer, they just get a soft blanket in case they get cold. They seem to love having a pillow and both cuddle into them.

Most toddler beds these days come with attached side rails, but if yours doesn't, they make ones you can buy. Be sure she has one and also put a pile of blankets on the floor beside the bed incase she falls. My daughter switched to a toddler bed at about that age and every single night she managed to fall off the bed! Just keep something down there to cushion her fall. Another thing I did was to put the toddler bed beside my bed just in case something happened. I always woke up when she fell so I could help her back into the bed. Good Luck!

This should be your choice not your doctors, my daughter went to a toddler bed early because she developed a fear of the crib, i think it was the caged in feeling, but my son stayed until he was 2, and my other boy stayed until he was 2 1/2. and then only because he was climbing out of the crib and i was afraid he would get hurt. But if you really want to put her in the toddler bed, use the blankets you use now, and a couple of her favorite toys to sleep with. But be warned, bedtime will be a hassle until she gets used to it, because she can get out on her own now.

15 months is awefully young for the toddler bed unless you are dealing with a climber. When we moved ours into their toddler beds they were older(2 years exactly happy birthday here's your bed) and used to sleeping with blankets and pillows in mom and dad's bed, so I DID give them a little pillow(toddler sized) but I didn't give them blankets especially in the summer because it can get hot under all that and it's a strangling hazzard. In the winter time, when they started using blankets, I would get a twin sized blanket and fold it in half(like a sleeping bag without a zipper) and call it a bed taco and tell them to get in and be the stuffing inside the taco and it worked fine. You have to be creative. I'm sure the first few nights in a new bed are going to be rough so make sure you play up how nice and fun the new bed is and if she sleeps through the night in it give her a reward like a sticker, a little toy, a special dessert, or a trip to McDonalds or something...whatever it is that motivates her. Even at 15 months they have currency...you just need to find it.

Source(s): mom of 4 and 1 on the way

I would wait until she is at least 2 years old. 15 months seems young to me to be in a toddler bed, unless she is climbing out of her crib making the situation dangerous.

My daughter was trying to climb out of her cot also and I moved her to a single be with a safety rail attached at 14months of age. It's actually a lot easier to settle her now because I can lay down next to her, sing to her & give her a cuddle. The transition was not too stressful although she did wake through the night a few times. It was easy to settle her again as I just layed with her till she went back to sleep. The weird thing is she still hasn't tried to climb out, not even in the morning. She should be safe to use a normal blanket as well. Good luck

My so moved into his toddler bed when he turned 3 in March...wow...15 mths!

Gradually make the move...make it as comfortable for her as possible. Decorate her bed with her favorite blankets, sheets, and pillows. My son hates blankets...and kicks them off of him.

I really don't like the idea of a 15 mth old on a toddler bed with blankets...hmmmmmm.....