brinkmont asked in TravelUnited StatesDallas · 1 decade ago

What are the best public school systems in the Dallas/FT. Worth area?

I'm moving to the area in September. I have people in Plano and Irving but they don't have kids so they don't know how the schools are. I have a 13 and 15 year old so I need a good high school and junior high school. And yes I'm basing my relocation on the schools and area. I'm confident that It won't be hard to find a job in the Dallas/FT Worth area with my skill set.

What does ISD stand for?

Favorite Answer

The PISD (Plano Independent School District) has some of the best schools in the nation! I would highly recommend Plano, but it would not be fair to other districts to not mention them; other great districts include the Frisco ISD, Allen ISD, Richardson ISD, etc! You can pretty much find an excellent school in the northern suburbs of Dallas.

Source(s): I went to Plano, and lived in the area for a looooooong time

I live in Euless which is in the middle of Dallas and Fort Worth. We have easy access to anywhere in the metroplex. Euless has a great park system, and an excellent school district. We just adopted a 5 year old girl, and the schools have bent over backwards to help us and her. There are houses and apartments in all price ranges here. Also check out Bedford next to Euless. Probably more rental houses but the same school disctrict (HEB school district). Places I would avoid living in include Arlington (high crime, gangs), Dallas and Fort Worth because of there school districts. Good luck!

the top school district in the dallas Ft worth area is my old school district...Highland Park. However unless you have a few million to buy a home...you are not going to be living there. Other than that I would go into the north of dallas suburbs like Plano, Lewisville or Frisco. If Plano...make sure you are talking about West Plano. Plano East is pretty trashy.

Source(s): My fantastic brain

Highland Park schools are some of the best public schools in the country. You don't have to buy a home; there are apartments for rent in the district. Pressure is high for both academics and social status but you'll never find a better education. Just be aware that your kids will be going to school with kids who think nothing of Kate Spade handbags and $200 hair coloring!

Plano is OK but has VERY large schools with graduating classes of nearly 1000 students. Not my cuppa.

Richardson is good if you get into the right school and housing there (to buy) is very reasonable.

Coppell is excellent. So is Frisco. And frankly, if you can get into the Hillcrest or WT White High school district, DISD isn't nearly as horrible as people say. Kids who do well there succeed in college.

Good luck!

Carroll ISD is one of the top 5 in the state... huge tax base in a tiny district with large lots (low density=less students)... you can sneak in to Carroll for under $400k by looking in a tiny area in northwest Grapevine that is in Carroll ISD...

It has a very good gifted student program, and it has a medical academy for the higher grades that busses in students from other areas...

The entire district of Carroll has been rated 'exemplary' (the highest ranking, meaning all schools in the district are exemplary) vs. most other districts which have some schools exemplary, but others aren't (ratings for the entire district are based on it's lowest rated school).

I read that the best school district in Texas is Keller ISD (independent school district).

Otherwise, I'd move to Plano. West Plano, that is.

Irving ISD-Independent School District its great

i jus graduated from high school and im sure its one of the worst high schools in the dfw area! i wouldnt recommend your kids going to any high schools or junior high schools in Irving period! the school systems should be shut down because of the poor quality of teaching and the lack of efforts from the teachers and administration. I'd recommend going to a school in Valley Ranch (which is where i started) barbara bush middle school and Ranchview high School. The curriculum is very nice and so is the neighborhood and environment. I'd also recommend Plano West, Coppell, Grapevine,Frisco and possibly Wiley!And try and stay out of the Dallas school district.They arent big on Academics but the Athletic program is wonderful at producing quality individuals! And never rule out a private school, because you'll never go wrong within a private establishment! Trust! But wherever you decide please dont let your child go to an Irving school you will be very dissapointed in tha quality! I'm an Irving grad and i, myself am very dissapointed in the education that i received/didnt recieve while in high school.

Young Tasty Da Star!

The best schools are located in Northern Dallas such as Plano, Richardson, North Dallas just as long as you avoid DISD thats probably the worst school district around here.

Most of the suburb schools are good:

*North and Northwest of Dallas: Carrollton, Coppell, Lewisville, Plano, Allen, Flower Mound.

*Southwest of Dallas: Grapevine, Southlake, Keller, HEB (Hurst/Euless/Bedford).

Avoid Dallas (unless it is a magnet school), Irving, and Denton schools. But really, unless you work in downtown Dallas, you can probably find a nice area close by with good schools. Good Luck!

Source(s): Used to live there.