Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 1 decade ago

is driving around 25-35 mph in 5th gear bad for my manual transmission?

i normaly never drive like this but some cases i get this bug to slow down to help improve my fuel economy... i have an autometer autogage vacuum gauge and a scangauge so i know i'm not really hurting anything...keeping my foot light on the gas pedal not really pushing it hard shifting into 5th gear as soon as i can which is normaly around 35mph but when i take a corner it dips down to 25mph still in 5th and i slowly pick up speed with out straining the engine or trans...

i've been told that i shouldn't do that and it would cost me about $2k to get my tranny fix when it goes bad

does any of this myth hold true and why i would like to see proof in this day and age of seeing is believing

thank you for your time in answering this question :)

Update:

i have my car set up for improved fuel economy. injen short ram intake(hot air intake), a DC header, and TRD axle back muffler.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

5th gear in most cars runs on its own. That is it is higher in the gearbox. Therefore needs to spin faster to get the correct lubricant from the oil. Straining at low speeds will no doubt cause you lots trouble very soon. Drive in 4th if you must drive so slow.

• 1 decade ago

No myth, buddy...this is called "lugging" and it will eat the heart right out of a car. You absolutely have to match speed with gear, gear with speed, etc. If your car has a tachometer, it will also have little marks indicating where you need to shift up or shift down... No fuel economy whatsoever is involved, but $2k should catch your attention! You can buy a slew of petrol for that, right?

• 1 decade ago

its actually harder on the clutch than it is on the transmission in a standard shift car like that ,you can burn a clutch real easy if your not careful with it,its really a better idea to go to 4 th gear or 3rd when going this slow,its matched with the speed of the vehicle,and is a lot easier on the clutch and pressure plate in it,it can do damage to a transmission,but it usually gets the clutch first,good luck ,hope this helps.

Source(s): been a certified mechanic for 37 yrs.
  • 1 decade ago

35 in 5th is okay, going around corner in 5th at 25, not okay. Actually the trans could care less, your just adding more strain in the engine, not okay. Using more fuel to get to speed in a higher gear, not okay.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

Depends on the gearing and the motor that your car has. There is no blanket rule.

It's not going to harm the transmission, but you want to avoid the motor "lugging", where is struggles at low revs with a lot of throttle. This actually puts a lot of strain on the bearings / pistons etc. You can tell because the motor tends to "struggle" and not make much power. If you notice that happening, then you need to change down, get the revs up a bit, and let the engine run more smoothly.

So pottering along a flat stretch of road in 5th with a very light throttle pressure, and the engine only doing 1500rpm? No worries.

Come to a steep hill and try and floor it in 5th to go up? The engine will struggle, and you need to change down a gear or 2.

• 1 decade ago

NOT GOOD to drive so slow in 5th gear. If you want fuel economy do the right thing -- get a VW TDI -- the only way to go!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

you should use a 3rd gear doing 35

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

just down shift to 4th you will probly actually get better fuel mileage

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

not a myth...down shift when you go below 35.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, it's bad.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.