Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAfrica & Middle EastSouth Africa · 1 decade ago

how safe is jo`burg?

i have been reading on the internet and the imprsssion seem to be getting is that form the adivce i have seen there is quite a bit of crime theft and even scams with some advice including using safe public transport and recommended accomodation. what is the truth about safety in jo`burg what advice would you give and why is jo`burg so much more dangerous to other parts of south africa

also how well is english spoken is south africa and what is traditional south african food

ps i am using j``burg to refer to johanesburg apparentely it`s a slang term for the city and i cant be bothered to write out the full word

Favorite Answer

Jo'burg is a kak place- the centre is a no-go area and stay out of the townships if you don't know someone there. The rim of the donut is Northern Suburbs Sandton City and West Rand and they aren't too bad, for Jo'burg that is! If you want a "surprise" try out Eldorado Park for size.....

South African English is like English and Afrikaans mixed together but most people will speak pure English to you as a foreigner. Where I come from we mix English and Afrikaans all the time so we don't even know we are doing it! Food is lekker, boboties, daaltjes, roeties, kerrie, koe'susters, melktert, mieleblae, tee-amand, biltong man ek is mos honger nou gooi ek na die Pie shop vir 'n Ggatsby

Source(s): I must say that Cape Town isn't what it used to be! Once upon a time the men fought man against man with knives and there wasn't all the drugs, just dagga and wine. Now the crack and mandrax problem has taken over, there is no mercy not even for a motje with a laaitie and they are shooting with oozies and AK47's . It's getting bad here too, I read that Joburg is one of the most dangerous cities in the world along with Medellin and Bogota... As for Cape Town, I have seen young children playing with real guns at edge of a certain street in Woodtstock on the corner of the Main Road....Mitchell's plain....aikona man!

Your question should rather be "How safe is South Africa" and the answer is "very unsafe." Bear in mind that crime statistics are manipulated ans sanitised by the ANC regime for fear of losing Investor confidence and Tourists so it is very hard to get an accurate position of the crime in South Africa. Nevertheless even by their own sanitised figures these will show that statistically Cape Town has higher per capita murder rate than Johannesburg. Cape Town also has a major drug abuse problem leading to many,many criminal activities including frequent attacks on Tourists, carjacking,violent assaults and gun battles on the open roads between various Taxi Associations.

Jo'burg city is cramped to the rafters with people from all over South Africa, the whole of Africa and the Middle East.

Criminal elements take advantage of the crowdidness and if you're not vigilant, you may come up short.

Ho lol its really not safe i was working at the hospital there for 2 months and i decided to quit and go back to Cape Town it didnt work for me the city can be bad they welcomed me by taking my wallet out of my bag while i was walking, and said bye to me by talikg my car at the hospital with sercurity i had a POLO PLAYA then and did robbery with it and that was enough for me accomodation was ok .You know SOME PEOPLE SURVIVE SOME LIKE ME DONT I DONT KNOW MAYBE I WAS WRITTEN FOR SALE ON MY BACK I DONT KNOW BUT I HATE THE CITY and for English the i will say it deppends on where you are C.Town is so,so because of Afrikaans but you will find good english and broken it just depends where you are and what age group you talking with because of Slang.As for food we have different cultures and if you and food deffers

In South Africa we have a very famous comedian called Barry Hilton. Upon asking him about fast food in Jo'burg his reply was :'' Boet , in Jo'burg if you're not fast , you are food !'' The English that is spoken would be like mine ,broken and mixed ,lekker ! Accommodation I can not help you with, sorry !

Joburg isn't really dangerous...depending on how much heat your packing.

Very very very safe.