Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Does it matter what ram you put into laptop?

I have a laptop, ACER Aspire 3002lci notebook with 448mb ram (I know where the other 64 mb ram went >_>). So I want to get a gig of ram. But does it matter what company is it made from? There's so many brands, like Kingston and then there's just ACP (idk what that is I just found it at circuit city site. Would it hurt my laptop if I put a wrong type of brand, or is there a certain type my computer can support?

Favorite Answer

Getting the correct RAM of any brand would not damage your PC. What I meant by correct here is provided that the RAM you buy for your PC is support by your PC. Eventhough you bought a RAM which is not supported by your PC inserting it would not damage your PC but just would not be recognised by the system.

To buy correct RAM for your PC check your existing RAM installed.

Hope this help! Cheers!

The company that makes the ram doesn't matter, so long as both cards are the correct type for your laptop. Most laptops use sodimm memory cards, and they come in many speeds. Your laptop uses DDR PC-2700 memory (also called DDR-333), but this is the maximum speed, and anything slower will work fine. DO NOT BUY DDR2 MEMORY! It won't work on your laptop. The brand doesn't matter, but if you get two of the same, it can help.

The brand type only matters in the quality department, however you PC does have specific requiremetns of what type of RAM your PC can accept (based on your laptops serila number and model number you can find out the specifics or ask a salesman to look it up at best buy or something similiar). Once you know the type your PC needs, then the brabd is up to you.

You wanna make sure that it's the correct type, yeah. Go to www.crucial.com to find out what type of RAM you need for your computer. Oh, and the other 64 mb of RAM, it's just a small amount that's taken out of the 512 total for formatting. Kinda like how your iPod says 50 gig but only holds 48 or so.

• Geek

It does not matter which make of RAm u r putting in the laptop however there are SD and DDR types so make sure the mother board on the laplop is compatible with the kind of ram u r about to use...

CHEERS!

We need to know some information first. What kind of ram are both kind of computers using, ddr2 or ddr3, how many mhz, and how many gb ram are they, 1 or 2 block, how many is INSIDE the other, and what is it pin sockets. Do your research thank you.

Best is to go with the same make and specification of RAM that came originally with your Laptop. Its always safe to do this. It will also help you get the RAM of exact specification.

The brand doesn't matter, but the type does.

Use the free Crucial Memory Advisor™ Tool

http://www.crucial.com/

to find out and then buy the cheapest.

Your "missing" 64MB is being used by your intergrated video.

it matters not who the manufacturer is, as long as it is the correct speed. some people argue from brand-to-brand; i prefer kingston memory.

• flakes

Have a look at this page it very helpful with ram queries and have a diagnostic page.

www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/RAMProblems.htm#matched

flakes