Is playing computer games and watching TV actually good for your brain?

TV and computer games have a bad reputation for stealing people's social lives and dulling their minds, but is there a good side to watching countless hours of TV and playing PS3 late into the night? I grew up addicted to TV and my parents had to wean me off using a special token system. I did house work in... show more TV and computer games have a bad reputation for stealing people's social lives and dulling their minds, but is there a good side to watching countless hours of TV and playing PS3 late into the night?

I grew up addicted to TV and my parents had to wean me off using a special token system. I did house work in return for TV tokens!

They were concerned that by watching too much TV I'd rot my brain, but I think the opposite has been true. I think it encouraged my imagination and inspired me to follow the career I have. My brother was a computer addict and now works with computers as a career and has a real gift for it. Are we exceptions?

I'd love to know what New Zealanders think about this.

You can find more information about me on the Yahoo!Xtra Answers blog: http://nz.blogs.yahoo.com/answers/51/jaquie-brown-on-answers