Can I use a 23 watt flourescent bulb in a small lamp made for a 40 watt incandescent bulb?

I needed a couple of small lamps for the house, but I didn't want to spend much. These lamps were super cheap, but look nice. The only catch was, that they are limited to 40 watt bulbs. I had the bright (ha ha) idea that maybe I could use those flourescent bulbs that replace your normal lightbulbs,... show more I needed a couple of small lamps for the house, but I didn't want to spend much. These lamps were super cheap, but look nice. The only catch was, that they are limited to 40 watt bulbs. I had the bright (ha ha) idea that maybe I could use those flourescent bulbs that replace your normal lightbulbs, because they are only 23 watts. At the same time, I get the same light output as if it were a nice 100 watt incandescent bulb.

Then, I started wondering if I might be running a fire risk anyway.

Anyone have any idea about this? Is it safe? How does the heat output compare? Flourescent is more efficient than incandescent, and if a 40 watt incadescent is ok, then a 23 flourescent should be too, no?

I'm kind of sure about this, but I'd rather pick other minds than start an electric or lamp shade fire in my house.

thanks
Kevin