promotion image of download ymail app

My laptop got wet! Trash it?

My laptop was in a suitcase in the back of the truck that got rained on! :( I set it out to dry, hoping for the best.... but I'm afraid I made a really expensive mistake.

4 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Open it up and don't turn it on for a couple days until it's absolutely dry. Turn on and hope for the best is all you can really do. If it's still under warranty, send it back for repair.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • rowlfe
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    There are two problems with a laptop getting wet inside the case. The water contains minerals which cause it to conduct electricity, which means battery power can be shunted into places it does not belong, frying the components in the process. Second, those same minerals when dry can cause corrosion which can eat through the copper traces on the printed circuit boards. Both are really BAD news. Is it still under warranty? If so, contact the manufacturer. Even if it isn;t, contact the manufacturer anyway and ask about getting it refurbished and what the cost might be. If you choose to do neither of these options, you can try what a friend did when his got spilled on with a whole pot of ramen noodles and soup. Remove the batteries, the main and CMOS batteries both. This may take some doing to get to the batteries which keep the CMOS memory alive. Once all power sources are removed, remove the hard disk. The hard disk has a sintered metal vent which lets air in and out, and will also let water in. Next, give it a bath in DISTILLED water. With the hard disk, instead of immersing it, locate the vent and put a small piece of tape over it to keep the water out and then pour distilled water over the circuit board part. Take the tape off the vent after you blow out most of the water from the circuit board area. The idea is to dissolve out any minerals still inside with pure water. After a thorough dunking several times he used compressed air (no need for the canned stuff, any source will do) to blow out most of the water and then he parked it under a box with a light bulb which warmed the area, but NOT hot, just a little warmer than the room air, and then a small fan to circulate the warm air in and around the parts. He let it sit for a week, and then, thinking better safe than sorry, let a 2nd week go by. He put in the batteries and viola' it started up! This was a very risky maneuver, but he had absolutely nothing to lose. The machine was going on 10 years old. I watched this process and was totally amazed when it actually worked. I was quite the skeptic. While I was in the Navy, I had expereince with equipment which got wet with salt water and our success rate on the water bath method of recovery was about 1 in 3. Your best bet is to have a refurb done by the manufacturer.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Jane
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

    Hello, I also made such mistake a while ago, my computer worked fine for few months, then it costs me $350 just to save my data, but it was worthless as computer shop failed to save data, but made my computer to work, and computer got dead again after two months. I have some information for you:

    Very, very carefully use a hair dryer..... but ensur

    you don't start getting the case HOT, a nice war

    blast of hair for a minute or two usually helps..... I do this o

    TV's and Video's where the spillage is usually drinks of som


    The only risk of electric shock is if the power adapter or charger ha

    got wet and can usually be treated in the same way. Water can corrod

    the copper tracks or soldered connections or even the battery clip

    or power jack itsel

    I am not sure, how old is your laptop, and how much you have inside to save. In case, you are not able to have an access, just make a strong decision about the repair, you can get a new laptop from $500 to $1000 depending on your needs.

    Good luck!

    Source(s): motherboard,
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    I'm sure you can send it to Dell or Apple or whatever company it is. Just call them and ask whether they can repair a wet computer. My sister had the same problem, and Dell got it back to her within a week. Talk about service... :-)

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    It will work when it is dry, I had my computer wet during the flood, it was wet and muddy, it worked fine later on.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.